Rpi4 < $(community_build)

Fresh off git. Please fire the senior member(s) who did this.

Steady on! I'm sorry about the situation and hope things can be resolved soon, but that was a very sensitive and thoughtful message of enquiry and until any specifics or evidence is conveyed, then unfortunately other than trying to investigate with what little I understand has been provided, then there is not much else OpenWrt can do. Where at all possible: truth before consequences - issues are best brought clearly into the light for facilitating action and change for the better.

5 Likes

OpenWrt is basically a democratic organization with a constitution, we are not a company and there is no "boss" who could fire anyone -- it'd have to be by (public) voting.
And well, at this point we can't know who did this because @wulfy23 ain't telling anyone nor giving any hint sufficient for anyone to know. We could now start randomly accusing each others (the group is not so small, spread across continents and many people never met in person, see https://www.openwrt.org/about#people), but not even that will help unless the offender voluntarily discloses their identity. To me it's not even clear who @wulfy23 could mean by "senior member"? Someone who has been part of the project for a long time? Someone with access to core infrastructure (as in: can grab my IP after forum login. could even be someone in the datacentre... and if that's the concern: just use TOR or VPN...)?
I'd be great to shed some light into this, but @wulfy23 will have to share some of his insights for anyone to be able to understand what happened and who did it. Saying that who ever attacked them will know doesn't help, because most likely the attacker will not disclose that fact to anyone.

6 Likes

in the last snapshot the latency rises in games is this normal?

I switched to release myself. Stable has been down for me for about a week.

The RPi is pretty overpowered for under 100Mbit connections, just checking around if anybody has got any other methods to minimise latency? Keeping everything pinned to CPU0, performance governor mode, hotplug script to disable all offloading, turbo mode clock at 1.5GHz, power-saving off via ethtool, rx-usecs to 0, and conservative SQM.

Which pi are you using?

The 4GB version.

You can run them at 2000mhz and overvoltage 5 without voiding warranty. Not sure if that affects latency but it’ll run all day at that.

1 Like

Is your question related to this specific community build?
If not, please open a new topic, since this one is only for a specific community build (which is now unmaintained since a while).

Thanks for the update wulfy23 !

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Which official build recommend for the Rpi4?

How strange I use qosify plus irqbalance and I don't notice any delay or overload

Might've been rectified, but I noticed that in older builds that for whatever reason there would be huge intermittent spikes in latency when using SQM, Wireguard client and VPN Policy routing. Even despite resources appearing fine with sufficient overhead and SQM even set to half of line speed there would be huge increases in ping along with drops in throughput. All of those fixes, plus implementing banIP resolved it.

I noticed wulfy posted 5.7.50-3, does anyone know if you can add Samba to these custom builds? I wasn't able to when I tested last night maybe I did something wrong. (why I typically avoid custom builds in general)

1 Like

I also noticed that I had latency spikes, but now I'm on rc3 and it works fine, I don't know if it solved that problem.

I have used samba share on an older build.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates again wulfy23

2 Likes

There are recommend hardware to use the RPi4 as a router? Like a second ethernet port?
Are RPi4 and CM4 images the same?

A UE300 dongle. Images are different. Plenty of information in the first few posts. Have a read.

2 Likes