Rpi4 < $(community_build)

Sorry to barge in. What about Zram? Wouldn't it be an option on Rpi4 units with 2GB+ RAM?

1 Like

i gotta admit my knowledge is pretty weak in this regard...

although, at one stage i'd almost finished a multiboot->initramfs option that loaded it's config from /boot which would likely achieve similar outcomes?

what command? this one?

probably simpler to just pm me the output from;

qosdebug.sh

Well thanks, I'll take a look at the instructions, and see if I think I can manage it, i do keep toying with trying the community build as you know all the tips and tricks to improve things, but not being able to have my settings pre-baked into image keep me questioning it, and the community build has so many features and functions I won't ever need or use it seems overkill.

But the qos bit seems like something worth having, if I can get it to work, but I will probably get scared off by the readme file lol

Hi folks, been watching this thread for a while and built a PI 4B about 10 times.

I keep getting stuck on wireless. I've followed all the instructions. Country is configured.

When the PI boots, the log has:

Thu Apr  1 12:51:43 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (7758): command failed: No error information (-524)
Thu Apr  1 12:51:43 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (7758): command failed: I/O error (-5)
Thu Apr  1 12:52:14 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (7758): Command failed: Request timed out
Thu Apr  1 12:52:14 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (7758): Command failed: Not found
Thu Apr  1 12:52:14 2021 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (7758): Device setup failed: HOSTAPD_START_FAILED

If I start from SSH:

root@rpi-dca63263b8 /41# hostapd /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->COUNTRY_UPDATE
wlan0: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->HT_SCAN

it all magically works.

What have I done wrong?

1 Like

Thank you for the build @anon50098793. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin this weekend.

Two quick questions:

• On the main README for the repo, it says that the 21.02 builds are coming (and I can see the new snapshot builds in the firmware selector). Is that now recommended for normal users, or would you still recommend this until the release is completed?
  • For this build, if there are packages that are missing (for me, I need the 6rd and the luci 6rd packages), can they be installed normally with the web interface, or do they need to be bundled with the build (would I be able to use this build, or would I need to use image builder or another tool)?

Thank you again for your help!

1 Like

probably best for someone new to openwrt to wait at least until 'rc1' stage... mostly to ensure consistent package repos...

should install just fine... ( although i'm not super familiar with those packages so someone else may have something else to add )...

Perfect - in that case I'll give your build a try!

People have been saying the Raspi4 has impressive routing performance, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do!

I looked into this... the build already had most things ( kmod-sit... luci-proto-ipv6, thanks trendy... )

it appears '6rd' is only needed for some extra glue... for config support...?

in any event... i've added it into (future) builds and if you ever upgrade to a newer build... it will be available for firstboot... in case it's needed for auto-package re-installation or initial connectivity et. al..

( thanks for the addition! )

1 Like

Oh wow - thank you so much. That will definitely make things easier.

1 Like

welcome.

you may get some more assistance creating a thread on the general forum...(was build related disabling of wpad) with regards to wireless... anything build related (very little) can be gathered from the command;

opkg list-installed | grep -e hostapd -e wpad; uci show wireless; service | grep wpad

in addition... post a link to your info above

Thank you Wolfy, Here is the output.

hostapd-common - 2020-06-08-5a8b3662-32
hostapd-utils - 2020-06-08-5a8b3662-32
wpad-openssl - 2020-06-08-5a8b3662-32
wireless.radio0=wifi-device
wireless.radio0.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio0.hwmode='11a'
wireless.radio0.path='platform/soc/fe300000.mmcnr/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0001/mmc1:0001:1'
wireless.radio0.htmode='VHT40'
wireless.radio0.disabled='1'
wireless.radio0.channel='52'
wireless.radio0.country='US'
wireless.radio0.cell_density='0'
wireless.default_radio0=wifi-iface
wireless.default_radio0.device='radio0'
wireless.default_radio0.network='lan'
wireless.default_radio0.mode='ap'
wireless.default_radio0.key='somerandomhardtoguesspassword'
wireless.default_radio0.ssid='ap101'
wireless.default_radio0.encryption='psk2+ccmp'
wireless.default_radio0.disabled='1'
/etc/init.d/wpad disabled stopped

1 Like

your wireless is disabled

• enable and start wpad service
  • go to network > wireless and make sure the network / adapter is enabled
1 Like

Thank you sir. That worked. For some reason WPAD was not enabled by default on install.

1 Like

this has changed through various iterations of the build... ( in the early days I did disable it... now it may depend on what the last install had ) so I cannot really provide a solid answer as to what the expected 'default' is other than to say...

• all users (using wireless) should check it
  • add it to ENABLEDSERVICES just in case

thanks for highlighting this specific 'quirk' within the build...

EDIT: 21st/April disabled due to lack of input

good to get some testing on this... especially;

• on links 200Mb/s+ AND/OR
  • people without UE300
  • please disable/stop irqbalance while testing these ( if you have enabled it )
instructions
curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wulfy23/rpi4/master/utilities/20-smp-packet-steering > /etc/hotplug.d/net/20-smp-packet-steering
#and reboot or restart networking
#EDIT: manual curl of this file now requires PACKETSTEERING=1 in /root/wrt.ini
#this can graphically edited at luci > system > startup > local startup
#commenting this out and rebooting (ifup br-lan?) will turn it off
#new builds will have this turned on and it is backported...

after that is fully tested... you can add(update) this and test too...

curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wulfy23/rpi4/master/utilities/rpi-perftweaks.sh > /bin/rpi-perftweaks.sh
#######@/root/wrt.ini
PERFTWEAKS="default" #may be set to "1" already or no entry
#then reboot or just run /bin/rpi-perftweaks.sh
#there is no undo... comment out PERFTWEAKS= then reboot should be close

and if/after you've tested the above... fyi...

PERFTWEAKS=1
POWERPROFILE="quick"
PFAFFINITY="32:f 33:f 26:c"
#PFRENICE=1
#PFSERVICECPU=1 #taskset some procs to cpu's

or whatever will let you re-assign irq-affinity... the other stuff is static for now can be overridden via /etc/perftweaks.txt ... but the commented vars above allow turning on and off... you'd need to reboot to undo tho'

(edit: network restart does not seem to add the usb nics again... so reboot may be needed although the onboard is the most important bit anyway)

also if anyone thinks they may want

• "packet_steering" as a build default and (edit: now enabled comment out PACKETSTEERING=1 to disable )
  • NOT/NO performance tweaks as default... ( edit: now enabled comment out PERFTWEAKS="default" to disable )

i'd like to hear from you... ( otherwise next upgrade comment out #PERFTWEAKS= because i'll likely backport some defaults in the next build aka insert some vars into your wrt.ini that govern this )

speak now or forever hold your 2c-peice...

troubleshooting

1 Like

I added dnssec in dnsmasq config file

○ option dnssec '1'
		○ option dnsseccheckunsigned '1'

and i was getting network issues in games. Why is that?

I am now using sg108e with vlan.

2 Likes

does it use other ports?

rpi4.qos classifies;

UDPCONTROLPT="53,5353,123,67,68,520"
	TCPCONTROLPT="53,5353,22,179,853"

as control traffic... if it's now using something else... then it will likely get placed in a lower teir... ( you didn't exactly explain what you mean by problems... last time we spoke... I said to remove the pc from GAMING_MACS as that variable is not suited to mixed traffic devices... ideally you should add it back and not download on the same machine whilst gaming... (or you can download within a VM also) there are another qos scripts that may suit you better also... )

ok... you'd probably still see some benefit from both... but vlan setup+not super high wan connection means less stuffing around if you just wait for more polished versions...

( but technically it's worth testing under wan@vlan conditions also )... i'll put this on my list...

you will get gains... by just enabling basic(default) steering for now...

uci -q set network.globals.packet_steering='1'; uci commit network; /etc/init.d/network restart

[FIRST-SCRIPT/STEERING]
the main problem is sqm getting cpu-bound over around/above 2-300mbps somewhere... so users with high speeds should see roughly 15-30% gains under peak demands...

[SECOND-SCRIPT]
basically just bumps up the min_freq 600000>900000 the rest is likely superfluous... apart from the INTERRUPT-AFFINITY... which ties into SCRIPT1/STEERING

1 Like

when i try to login it says "connection to server has been interrupted."

I think it some other issue. I removed these two settings from the dnsmasq config and i was able to login.
But now it is again stuck at loading and giving me error "connection to server has been interrupted"
maybe port issue as you mentioned here

yes i removed my pc

1 Like