Rpi4 < $(community_build)

No to NORCCUSTOM=1

Let me re-write the sdcard and start over.

no worries... as a bonus latest build has persistent nlbwmon + statistics ( with conntrack and irq )

I'm having strange persistence problems. My RPi remembers things it should be forgetting. I pulled the sdcard and wrote your latest image to it. When I booted the RPi, it remembered the previous IP address I'd set on the ethernet interface.

Can't do an opkg update.
Collected errors:

• opkg_conf_parse_file: Failed to open /etc/opkg/customfeeds.conf: Stale file handle.

I put the sdcard back in the computer, used disk manager to format the first partition (not a fast format, so presumably all blocks in the first partition were wiped). Deleted all the partitions, then wrote the image with win32diskimager.

Same results.

Do I need to somehow zero out the whole sdcard before writing images to it?

Does the RPi have some sort of built-in nonvolatile storage OpenWRT is using?

the last time I used factory... I ended up zero-ing the sdcard... ( linux dd zero + zcat dd )... not sure if win32diskimager zero's properly... just deleting is likely not enough...

the pi4's nv storage is a minimal bootloader only...( nothing os related ) previous pi's had no nv at all.

No dd under windows (yes, I realize there are win32 ports of dd). What I did on the last spin:

1. Use disk manager to create partition in the empty remainder of the sdcard
  2. Deleted FAT partition #1
  3. Deleted partition2
  4. Create a fat32 partition in the space previously held by the first two partitions
  5. Do a format, but deselect the "quick" option forcing all blocks to be written
  6. Use Win32DiskImager to write the image.

Again, thank you. You have moved me light-years ahead in my quest to build the ultimate LTE router.

1 Like

Fan issue solved. While poking around in luci's software packages available I discovered kmod-hwmon-rpi-poe-fan. I installed it and the fan spun right up!

2 Likes

please add support for simple ad blocker it does support ad blocking even when you are using dns over https

thanks for the tip... :face_with_monocle:, try;

opkg update && opkg install luci-app-simple-adblock && /etc/init.d/adblock stop && /etc/init.d/adblock disable

should more people also need it ( 3+ ), will definitely consider adding within the image.

Any chance we can get a rootfs tar (similar to this)? I am running OpenWRT inside an LXD container on the Pi, so can't really use img files.

done (10 characters)

1 Like

Hi,

I would prefer squashfs images as path upgrade is way easier.
Using ext4 only allow a complex upgrade path:

• export config
  • upload update
    -- possible troubleshoot as config is now the default one again
  • import config

Using squashfs is way easier, the only troubleshooting is eventually specific package without retro-compatibility.

1 Like

give them a try... :vulcan_salute: start with the community squashfs factory... from there to begin with, ignore 'sysupgrade -p' ... regular sysupgade should be ok... be sure to let us know how it goes :lobster:

Nope, you can upgrade an ext4 image in just the same way as a squashfs image.

1 Like

new builds have all zoneinfo-* ... was feeling selfish with just mine... :dragon: ( + wpa_cli, netperf... button-hotplug )

1 Like

Do you have a .config file for the community build? I build my images with all my data built in, so it would be handy to enable me to use this build :slight_smile:

i'm using the imagebuilder in the git repo you will find;

• ibbuildinformation.txt
  • change the FILES variable to your files folder
  • remove or change the BIN_DIR variable
  • change BOOTPART and ROOTFSPART sizes in .config

and add the line;

make image rpi-4 FILES="$FILES" DISABLED_SERVICES="$DISABLED_SERVICES" PACKAGES="$PACKAGES"
  • place this within your extracted IB folder and fire away! :dango:

( for anyone else, i'd recommend just uploading a restore.tar.gz... then ensuring changes to be preserved during upgrade are added to sysupgrade.conf... note: exclude rc.local from your vanilla backup or overwrite it with ours once restored )

Oh my God that's well over my level of knowledge... I thought I was doing well getting the build image working lol

go with option 2 then... just upload the restore.tar.gz after....

another option is to mount partition two after writing... and put you files there prior to placing the sdcard into the pi...

I just did that as I swapped the gateway device i'm using, so after writing the factory... setup a simple dhcp network file for the pi.

Same problem here. Only wireless "legacy" mode creates a visible AP that I can connect to with my smartphone. "N" or "AC" do not create a visible AP.

Also the luci UI says "Mode: client" instead of "Mode: AP" then. Very strange:

(this is for "N" and "AC" - for "Legacy" it works and says "Mode: AP")

I have no idea what I could do.
I followed the advice of first using raspbian to set the wireless country code to "DE Germany". Does not seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Edit: This is with openwrt-bcm27xx-bcm2711-rpi-4-ext4-factory.img.gz from the rpi-4_snapshot_1.1.50-15_r13974_lts folder.

I also tried using the https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/bcm27xx/bcm2711/ instead of this build but there even the ethernet ping to 192.168.1.1 is flaky and wireless is not working at all (also not luci http interface as it seems)

1 Like
uci show wireless | grep -v 'key=' 

generally tho'

• key longer than 8 chars
  • 40 ( repeat with 20 if all else fails )
  • Country DE
  • Save > Luci > disable + wait + enable + wait ( and finally a reboot if that fails)

Are all 'mandatory', wifi is a WIP at them moment tho' in the general sense. I don't really use it... but i've tested a little and made some tweaks for others...

Thanks for the feedback! :woman_curly_haired: