Router used as managed switch?

I am planning my networks new and don't know exactly what I want at the moment, but the devices should run with OpenWRT (of course).

It is not so easy to find a cheap switch, which is supported by openwrt. Since I want to be able to create VLANs I need a managed switch like the MikroTik RB260GS/CSS106-5G-1S: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB260GS This one is probably not supported by OpenWRT.

But the hEX S (RB760iGS): https://mikrotik.com/product/hex_s is release candidate, 21.02.0-rc1 (r16046-59980f7aaf)

The price of the hEX S (58€) is higher than the RB260GS (36€) of course, but running OpenWRT is a big advantage too.

So is there a disadvantage using a router as switch?

Maybe you can recommend another brand for a cheap managed switch?

2 Likes

Thanks, I know that there is new support with 21.02 and switches.

NETGEAR GS108T v3

Ethernet LEDs unsupported

ZyXEL GS1900-8

250 x 104 x 27mm (a little bit too large for me)

So I am asking if a "router" can do all the things a switch does, as a general question?

I have 1 24port switch, a Mikrotik CRS326-24G-2S+IN. On the other side (under construction) is an Archer C7 and I want to separate the LAN-ports, so the LAN-ports of the Archer C7 are unused. Instead of the LAN ports of the Archer C7 I would like to use a cheap managed switch / router.

A Mikrotik hEX S, which is a router and probably also stable with 21.02, is somehow better for me, not so big and has PoE. I know there is the Zyxel GS1900-8HP, which is a lot more expensive than the hEX S.

I am unsure only, if a router used as switch has disadvantages.

Hi
I am using OpenWRT in this way for many years on dozen of devices
and it is working good
trunk (vlans) on WAN port, and from there, access (untagged) ports as you choose , plus you have multi SSID, each bound to corresponding Vlan

this is a bright side of story

But ...

drawback is:
not every device support "mixed" ports
often in home environment, there is a "flat" network, without vlans, and user decide to add a "guest" vlan (typical scenario)
So there is a catch
Some switch chips could handle Vlan1 (untagged) + Vlan XXX tagged
And some don't
If you choose some combination of Mediatek + OpenWRT 19.07, you are stuck with "trunk only mode". So the whole network need to be rearranged to be tagged
And try to avoid Vlan2 ... :frowning:

More confusion is now with DSA which promising to skip tagged/untagged (mixed) port problems, but DSA is still in early adoption phase

So ...
be prepared to rearrange your network for "trunk" - tagged mode and you are good to go

1 Like

I assume I need a switch which supports IEEE 802.1Q because of the VLANs, right? If so, I think the Mikrotik hEX S router doesn't support it and cannot be used? I want different networks for Wifi and LAN.

There is 1 cable in the wall from the 24port Mikrotik CRS326 switch to the Archer C7. So i have to use tagged anyway.

So the Archer C7 will be Wifi-access point then only. Not sure how to connect it.
Wifi should be another network than the LAN.

24port Mikrotik switch - cable - new box (switch, router) - Archer C7?

I have read that Netgear switches need a registration with a lot of data, not so good, LEDs not working with OpenWRT. The Zyxel should have problems with VLANs and stock firmware according to Amazon reviews.No idea if this is a hardware problem.

@linuxuser

I assume I need a switch which supports IEEE 802.1Q because of the VLANs, right? If so, I think the Mikrotik hEX S router doesn't support it and cannot be used? I want different networks for Wifi and LAN.

You are misunderstood things
RB760 and similar 750 will work
but only in trunk mode (at least with 19.07)

to be clear:
acces mode - your device could only "speak" blue color (computers,TV boxes, IoT devices, etc ...)
mixed mode - your device could add other colors on top of blue (computers wit Linux OS, some Atheros routers, managed switches)
trunk mode - your device could "speak" everything but NOT the blue color (rb750,rb760 and similar Mediatek with OpenWRT 19.07)
every Vlan capable device could do trunk mode !

So, yes, your cable from wall need to be in trunk mode to be compatible out of box with OpenWRT

1 Like