Router shows old network name after changing it

Hey!

The router transmits the old network name within a few seconds after I changed it. What I've done:

wifi down
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=NEW_SSID
uci commit wireless
wifi up

After that, in the available networks, I see the old network and the new one for a few seconds. Why is this happening and, most importantly, how to fix it?

1 Like

No, it doesn't.

Client devices show entries in their list of available stations for a bit even after they are gone, for several reasons.

Firstly, it takes a few seconds to scan through the wifi bands to get a list of stations (usually between 3 and 5 seconds, depending on wifi hardware). Secondly, they would not remove a station from the list until it has been gone for several consecutive scan cycles. Likewise, they would not add a network to the list until it has shown in a few scan cycles. This is simple hysteresis to prevent the list of network from fluctuating wildly every few seconds.

This is completely regular behaviour, there is nothing to fix.

1 Like

No matter how much time has passed, after turning on the wifi, I still see the old and new networks.

Perhaps you have more than one Wi-Fi interface:

uci show wireless

You need to update SSID for each interface.

He is alone.

wireless.radio0=wifi-device
wireless.radio0.type='mac80211'
wireless.radio0.hwmode='11g'
wireless.radio0.path='platform/10300000.wmac'
wireless.radio0.htmode='HT20'
wireless.radio0.legacy_rates='0'
wireless.radio0.channel='auto'
wireless.default_radio0=wifi-iface
wireless.default_radio0.device='radio0'
wireless.default_radio0.network='lan'
wireless.default_radio0.mode='ap'
wireless.default_radio0.wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries='1'
wireless.default_radio0.key='XXXXXXX'
wireless.default_radio0.encryption='psk2+ccmp'
wireless.default_radio0.ssid='XXXXXXX'
wireless.default_radio0.macaddr='XXXXXXX'

It is important to note that everything happens after turning on the network. It doesn't matter how long I wait in the web interface, changes will only be available after turning on the network.

1 Like

Instead of down/up you can try:

wifi reload

Note that network/interface name and Wi-Fi SSID are different entities.

1 Like

Cool! Using wifi reload, I only see the new network! Many thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.