Router loses ability to provide internet through wifi but works after ethernet laptop boots

Hello,

I have a weird bug on my openwrt router where when I wake up in the morning the wifi does not provide internet even though devices cannot connect to it. But when I boot my laptop which is connected to the router via ethernet then internet is available from the wifi again. Any ideas what is going on here and how I can stop the router from not providing internet unless I open my laptop?

To elaborate more in my set up.

I am running OpenWrt 22.03.5 on an AR750S device. My (gl-ar750s) router is connected to a router provided by my ISP. DMZ is used so that all traffic goes to my router and then WiFi is set up as well as ethernet connectivity. One port is used to go straight to my laptop and another to an unmanaged ethernet switch that provides internet to 2 rasperry pis that are running 24/7. One is running nextcloud and the other a reverse proxy (from linuxserver io) among other things.

When there is a problem with the Internet connectivity my android phone connects to the wifi successfully but says that there is not internet available.

Another issue is that this problem is not happening consistently. It may take 2 weeks before the issue appears again for example. I m not sure how to try to troubleshoot the issue either.

Is your laptop connecting through a USB-C docking station with ethernet? If so, that is almost certainly your problem. Some of those devices will generate broadcast storms when the host computer is disconnected or sleeping/off.

Unplug the ethernet and see if that resolves your issue.

1 Like

Hm, interesting. Indeed the laptop uses a USB-c docking station! I will try this and see if it solves the issue.

If I unplug the station from the laptop instead of the ethernet cable - cause it's easier - I assume it's the same thing, right? The docking station is not connected to a power source on it's own, it gets power from the laptop.

In general, it is not the same thing. But as long as it is actually truly disconnected from power when the laptop is disconnected, yes, it would have the same effect. The best method, though, is to disconnect ethernet from the docking hub.

I am pretty confident this will solve the issue.

1 Like

Cool, thanks a lot. Will try this and see what happens.