Router for VDSL and telephony

Can someone recommend a router for VDSL (G.993.1, G.993.2)?

I can recommend the BT Home Hub 5.0 Type A:

That one worked rock solid for me. However, it will likely be maxed out somewhere above 100 Mbps. As for the telephony part I doubt anything is officially supported. But nowadays it is all VoIP anyway, not?

Anyway, note that for VDSL vectoring one will need later modem firmware which may be extracted from the likes of the FRITZ!Box 3490 et. al.

2 Likes

The specimen above is one of the best lantiq vr9 devices available (and for very cheap on the used markets), it does not by itself contain any phone hardware (and yes, you'd need to specify a bit closer what you're exactly looking for). https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/soc/soc.lantiq would be an overview over the other options, some of them do contain supported FXS hardware (via chan_lantiq, an out-of-tree asterisk plugin; asterisk is not easy to set up).

These lantiq vr9 devices support VDSL2+vectoring, up to around 100 MBit/s (profile 17b), but not super-vectoring (profile 35b). Right at this moment there are no device supported by OpenWrt with super-vectoring support.

The vr9 chipset isn't the fastest by today's standards, it maxes out around 84 MBit/s and needs software flow-offloading enabled to achieve up to ~120 MBit/s at best. However these values can only be achieved if the SOC is running in SMP- (dual-core) mode, hardware with VoIP/ FXS capabilities reserve one of the two system cores (and 2 MB RAM) for the voice processing, dropping throughput to roughly 55-58 MBit/s (with no real gain from software flow-offloading anymore). So while technically available, the concept of an all-in-one device is rather unlikely from a performance point of view (unless your WAN speed is below ~50 MBit/s).

2 Likes

Yes thank you for competent advice. At the moment I use a Fritz Box 7320 with ADSL2+ J G.992.5 and am very satisfied with openwrt. But I will move soon and get up to 50 Mbits without VDSL vectoring. The device would be suitable but I couldn't find a BT Home Hub 5.0 Type A on Ebay.

Hello. If I'm not mistaken, there are plans to change (and a working implementation, although with a memory corrupting bug) xrx200 target to use DSA, which with software offloading gives >400 Mbps routing performance on vr9 SoCs

1 Like

I once bought mine on eBay plus another one spare which are now just collecting dust. I would be willing to send you one if you pay shipping. Just PM me.

2 Likes

@Fly

Just note that flashing a BTHH5A for the first time is difficult, particularly getting a physical connection.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. But I already did this on mine plus my spare and then successfully used each of them for multiple months without the slightest hiccup ever. Unfortunately, I got upgraded to a 500+ Mbps connection which it can't handle any longer.

2 Likes

hello back sorry for my late reply, i was unfortunately prevented, so that means you have already done one about serial? And is it definitely a Home Hub 5 Type A?

Yes, it is. All ready to be used again.

Yes thank you for the help but I probably take AVM I will contact again if I take your device how high is thePrice shipping would be to Germany?

Yes, regular vectoring but not super vectoring. As mentioned before, it anyway maxes out somewhere above 100 Mbps. This is the last DSL status it showed before X-mas last year when I decommissioned it:

Line State:UP [0x0]
Line Mode:G.993.5 (VDSL2 with down- and upstream vectoring)
Line Uptime:31d 0h 10m 27s
Annex:B
Profile:17a
Data Rate:122.341 Mb/s / 42.215 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):153.681 Mb/s / 44.502 Mb/s
Latency:655.23 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN):6.3 dB / 3.4 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):6.3 dB / 3.2 dB
Noise Margin (SNR):13.2 dB / 6.4 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (ACTATP):-19.9 dB / 3.9 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES):0 / 44
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):0 / 0
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):0 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):195 / 195
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):0 / 0
Non Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRC_P):0 / 0
Pre-emptive CRC errors (CRCP_P):0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID:Broadcom 177.194
Power Management Mode:L0 - Synchronized

Shipping to Germany will be around EUR 8.14 if I am not mistaken.