Router for gaming

wow, why not the 8GB variant? 2GB of ram for openwrt is just enought for everything. You won't use more than 512 MB probably.

1 Like

I am not sure that is completely right. IIRC @dlakelan has been showing data with a HFSC shaper at 1gbps with no individaul CPU exceeding 50%, but the asix USB3 adapter seems to be a CPU hog.

2 Likes

Really!? You know what others are doing, could do, want to do with their installation?
My current RAM usage is 452912 MB. Mostly caused by a 7MB blocklist. I would not buy a 1 GB device. 2 GB is good enough I've written. If you want to do other things and run your OpenWrt in a docker environment then you want probably more then 2 GB.

Did badrisuper say that he want to do anything special with openwrt apart from using it with a VPN? If you need toons of RAM is your particulary case, but recommending buying the 4GB variant its a bit overkill for using openwrt just as a simple router, he probably won't use that RAM and he will waste his money.

Thanks for this! Things are still in flow for raspberrypi 4. I'm not up to date in any detail. That's why I referenced this SQM benchmark thread (to read and ask for the thread starter). Even the decision to buy an USB-to-Ethernet adapter or running all over one Ethernet device has a huge impact.

We don't even know what he/she expects. So nothing is wasted so far. Between 1 GB variant and 2 GB varaint is no price difference at all. From 2 GB to 4 GB there is a gap about ~15 EUR. As I wrote 2 GB is enough. But I would still recommend 4 GB:

• Running things in a container to do more then just OpenWrt
  • If I had to go for x86 (because VPN and SQM @ 1GB connection) then I would not buy like 1GB RAM just because its enough for OpenWrt. Same for a raspberrypi. (personal opinion!).
  • Who knows what he/she wants to do later with this device for just 15 bucks more.

Except USB to Ethernet adaptor I have everything in hand.

Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB ram
Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 5xp
And Archer C7 as AP

I will try Raspberry Pi see how it performs when gaming. I have no problem when streaming videos. But when gaming I can feel the difference.

When I test bufferbloat it is decent but sometimes there are high spikes.

At present I am using Netduma R2, which is much better than my previous one but not meeting the expectation.

So I want to try different solution and compare which one is good.

Thanks
Badri M

I dont know what other feature I can use other than gaming and vpn. Its going to be a learning for me to know what other feature I can use.

I do stream game play in Twitch and Youtube.

Thanks
Badri M

What USB to ethernet adaptor do you suggest?

Thanks
Badri M

Look at https://forum.openwrt.org/t/rpi4-routing-performance-numbers/53996, it seems people use TP-Link's USB 3 UE300 (realtek r8152 based IIRC).

Do I need 2 USB to Ethernet adaptor? In the link you mentioned dlakelan 2 adaptor required.

Thanks
Badri M

No, the Pi4B has one built-in gigabit ethernet adapter and socket, so you only need one additional one. @dlakelan tested both an ASIX based one and the UE300 and the UE300 was demonstrably better suited to the task of processing data at gigabit speeds.

1 Like

Thanks I have placed order for everything.

How do I set it up? Any documents I can refer?

Edit: I got it here - https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload. But any instruction I can find somewhere about how to flash and do setup?

Thanks
Badri M

I believe @dlaklan's thread has some information. I have no Pi, let a lone a 4B and have no first hand experience with setting it up, so I will refrain from making wild guesses;)

Hi

Thanks. I understand that.

Hope I get inputs, suggestions and advise from other forum members as well

Thanks
Badri M

I have referenced 3 links in my first post where you can find information about the device and the setup.
If you want to start quick just grab the build from @anon50098793 and follow "SAMPLE INSTALL COMMANDS"
For setting up the usb-to-ethernet device you could use "Raspberry Pi as a home router".
This should give you a running system. For fine-tuning then search the threads I've linked and/or the forum. If you have specific questions just ask within this threads or open a new topic.

2 Likes

Hi

Thanks. I will go through link shared.

It looks like I ordered for 8GB Pi4. I hope it wont be an issue

Badri M

That is indeed to much for your needs. But it won't be an issue.

If your question has been answered, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.