Router bricked, then not powering up after using self-made serial cable

yes , i would also consider that cable is faulty . there relatively cheap on ebay about $5 , but as for that board i'd bet money that its fried

I am confused because if it is fried, the blinking leds pattern wouldn't be the same as before when on VAC only.
I think it should be like just on or something to indicate that there is current.
but it is exactly the same bootloop blinking pattern

Willy, thanks I will try to examine that. :slight_smile:

willy is correct it all depends how far you want to go to repair it

The router is litterally a week old, just bought the damn thing :confused:

oh crap can it be returned?

Not if you bricked it using unsupported firmware.

That's one of the risks of open source firmware...you're on your own.

Before flashing open source, it's important to make sure you know how to revert back to stock firmware in case things go wrong, understand what “failsafe mode” is, what a TFTP recovery is, what a serial recovery is, and when you need to do what.

Unfortunately, it can be a hard lesson.

pink im confused is it going into boot with just the ps?

gallo, after it got bricked, it is just bootlooping and i couldn't do anything to unbrick it, so I made the TTL cable from an old nokia cable I had. after connecting that cable to it, now it doesn't turn on via power adaptor..

now it needs the vac to give me that blinking pattern that i used to see before connecting the serial cable to begin with. becasue it doesn't power on without it

and no I cannot return it :frowning:

I tried before using the serial cable, to go into recovery, with holding the reset then powering it on... and that didn't work, that is why i did the serial cable

so it does power on with the ps , get a usb-ttl cable that works

ok i am gonna buy one new. but the problem is, after I restore it and hopefully gets unbricked, how will I turn it on after i close it up ?

what do you mean with "ps" ?

In case you end up having to buy a replacement, do yourself a favour and pick a device with more than 4 MB flash/ 32 MB RAM and GBit/s ethernet ports, those aren't necessarily more expensive but much safer looking into the future.

slh that router is having those specs. 8mb flash 64 Ram

power supply. if it doesnt turn on with only the power supply then its fied. forget the 3.3v portion of the serial, it isnt actually turning on the whole board

gallo.. oh :confused:
then there is no way fixing it :frowning:

look for an open fuse, or a resistor, or coil before close it.

willy, I will definately check that

where exactly to look for here in that picture?

See this list of LEDE-friendly routers...

1 Like

You must look for components marked with R and L. Don't look for components marked with C, are capacitors. Usually fuses are black with one "0" or more printed.

Ok, I will see what I can do and report back.
Thank you guys a lot, you are the best.