[RFC] testing mainline kernel with OpenWrt userland?

goal

testing kernel v 5.6 | 5.7 | 5.8 with OpenWrt userland

prerequisites

assume:

• kernel images of above flavours been compiled (whatever features wanted compiled in, no modules)
  • kernel partition space is no issue
  • kernel image dumped to kernel partition (/boot)

questions
  1. how to prevent existing kernel modules (from current OpenWrt feeds/installation) from being loaded during boot (prefer not to remove the modules)?
  2. will OpenWrt userland package feeds/installation being impacted/impeded by the change of the kernel, if so to what extent and how to remedy?
1 Like

Why wouldn't you just alter the include/kernel-version.mk file and build out with the new version? I must be misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

not using the OpenWrt toolchain, just compile the kernel and swap it.

Will not work.
Note that there are 100+ OpenWrt specific patches for generic kernel plus 50+ for each processor target. Plus similarly all kernel options.

Bumping the kernel major version is a major task. If you need to ask about basics, you will not succeed.

First familiarise yourself with the OpenWrt kernel build infra, and you will better understand my answer here.

2 Likes

How important are the patches for the x86-64 target? I'm running my OpenWrt routers in LXD on Ubuntu. And I guess Ubuntu has none of Openwrt's kernel patches. What problems can I expect?

2 Likes

Which part? The kernel surely will boot, if correctly configured (and the target being supported by the kernel - which is a given).

I did not ask of how to compile the kernel for a given target, just two questions which are unrelated to

Say the second question I can find out by testing and see what userland may not be working but would appreciate to know

1 Like

Easy peasy. Put them all on the blacklist.

But would you really want that? Better just strip the modules then. There's probably also a box to untick in the kernel configuration to enable module loading. Untick it, recompile (make sure everything you need is in), and you're golden.

2 Likes

Right you are, missed it...

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.