Restricting access of wireless "Master" local network by wireless "Client"

i have two different wireless networks, one access internet of the other

however, both have their own local networks with plex media servers running on each network

i would like to not allow local network access to wireless client network

both routers have different ip addresses for example 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1

This is usually pretty easy with a firewall rule, assuming you control the 2nd/downstream router. It does depend how things are configured, but generally speaking, you can simply create a rule to drop or reject traffic to 192.168.1.0/24 from the 192.168.2.1 network.

If you need specifics, we need to know more about your network topology and config. Are both routers running OpenWrt?

1 Like

thanks

in the screenshot above "strawberry"(192.168.1.1), is my ISP router, it does not run on openwrt, it has plex media server running on its local network

"cranberry"(192.168.2.1) runs on openwrt and has its own plex media server running on local network

"cranberry" should not allow "strawberry" to access its local network

"cranberry" only requires internet from "strawberry"

This happens by default if cranberry's uplink (to strawberry) is associated with the wan firewall zone (and also assuming you didn't modify the firewall configuration).

If you want to actively prevent hosts on the cranberry network from accessing those on the strawberry network, create a firewall rule that drops/rejects all protocols from src zone lan to destination network/IP 192.168.1.0/24.

1 Like

thanks, hope you have a berrylicious day :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.