Restoring stock firmware on Netgear R6260

Does anyone know the procedure for restoring stock firmware on the Netgear R6260? I wanted to do this last night due to problems with 5 ghz wifi to eliminate a problem with the hardware. I found a couple of seemingly generic Netgear articles on how to do this via tftp, but when I do the reset and power on procedure I get flashing lights but cannot connect via tftp. I can't find any instructions on how to do it with this particular router. Has anyone done it with this model or similar?

Does this help?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/vendor_specific_rescue#manufacturer-generic_firmware_recovery_procedures

-> see Netgear

Most Netgears are very easy to TFTP recover. You need a TFPT client on your PC. This is opposite how TP-Links recover by loading firmware from a TFTP server.

Linux ships with a CLI TFTP client called 'tftp'. Windows 10 also has one built in but you must go to the control panel--> Turn Windows Features On and Off, and enable it.

On the router hold down the reset button while turning the power on and keep holding until the power LED flashes orange. The bootloader is now running a TFTP server which will wait indefinitely for your client to transfer.

Static IP your PC to 192.168.1.10 then execute the TFTP PUT.
Windows (in a Command Prompt):
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT firmwarefilename
Linux:

tftp 192.168.1.1
>binary
>put firmwarefilename
1 Like

I've followed that guide, as well as another one using the CLI client. The transfer always times out. No matter how long I hold the reset button in, I don't get a flashing orange light. I don't think my router even has an orange LED in it.

I understand the TFTP recovery mechanism, it just seems to be a complete mystery as to how I get the router into recovery mode.

Have you tried the second method (nmrpflash) mentioned on the page I linked above?

1 Like

I'll try it tonight. Many thanks. I'm keen to run OpenWRT, but want to test the wifi on stock firmware in case it's a hardware issue and thing needs to go back. Should have tested it before flashing with OpenWRT, d'oh!

Hi, many thanks, I have successfullly restored factory firmware. I think I will stick with it for now, it's not actually that bad and better than my BT "smart" hub. I have VPN, dns and dhcp on a Raspberry Pi and I have QOS on the Netgear stock firmware . I'll keep my ear to the ground on future development of OpenWRT and might give it another go in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.