Restoring Config for working BT HH5a with LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)

Hi all,

Bit of a newbie question here but I have a currently working BT HH 5a with "LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)"

Very happy with it and have spent some time (obviously) setting it all up the way I want for QOS (VOIP) and LAN WAN etc. I wanted to get a spare box of fleabay as a backup in case of power surges etc and. this box will most liley come prebuilt with either:

1. 19.07.1
    or
  2. 17.01.06

The question I have is.... If I make a backup of my current configuration (System > Backup > Generate Archive) can I use this backup to restore and setup either of the two above or would it cause problems with the 19.07.01?

Thanks
Paul

Have you studied the Installation Guide for HH5A ?
https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266

Re. 17.01.6 - no issues restoring backup of 17.01.4 config.

Re. 18.06.x/19.07.x - after restoring backup of 17.01.4 config, you will need to edit the interface name from ptm0.101 to dsl0.101 if you are using FTTC in the UK. See section 7.17 of the above guide. I think
Wifi should be OK too.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have looked at the guides a while back but it's all been working well so have not kept up with developments.

I will give it a good read now though :+1:

I assume that any modules I might have installed will also be restored (like qos). The problem is that I can't remember exactly what I did when I first got it (as I did a lot of stuff in a short space of time) but..... Always knew I could restore from by backup. I just didn't cater for a restore to a higher level in my thinking. Today I had my hh5 psu blow up due to a thunder storm overhead so it's galvanised me into action in case it happens again :zap::zap::zap::grin:

I guess the followup question is.....

Am I going to gain anything major on the hh5 by jumping up to 19.x from 17.x I know there are some improvements (of course) but are they relevant to the hh5 bearing in mind I am fttc with a speed of (max) 48mbps.

You do have to reinstall the packages. Only the settings are backed up.

Security patches are a reason for upgrading if you are paranoid.....

"If it ain't broke, why change it?"....
0lede

1 Like

Hi, indeed. If it ain't broke......

I think I'll stick with 17 to keep it simple. Thanks for the heads up on the packages.

Paul