[resolved]USB storage failures

By trial and error I am working towards not receiving an RPCError
I've posted about this before but am unskilled about mounting devices, file systems and fstab.
The LuCI error page is posted below.

root@OpenWrt:/etc# service fstab boot
block: unable to load configuration (fstab: Parse error (invalid command) at line 15, byte 0)
block: no usable configuration

BUT

root@OpenWrt:/etc# mount -a
mount: mounting UUID=e8577c39-a69c-4a4e-8717-26de715249ec on /mnt/sda1 failed: No such file or directory

ls -l /dev/sd*
/dev/sda1: UUID="e8577c39-a69c-4a4e-8717-26de715249ec" LABEL="OpenWRT500" VERSION="1.0" TYPE="ext4" 

other devices appear, too, but they are not showing errors under mount -a.

uci export fstab; ls -la /mnt

root@OpenWrt:/# uci export fstab; ls -la /mnt
uci: Parse error (invalid command) at line 9, byte 0
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          4096 Dec 21 20:48 .
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          4096 Jan  1  1970 ..
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root          4096 Dec 21 20:48 sda1

root@OpenWrt:/mnt# ls
sda1
root@OpenWrt:/mnt# chmod -R 777 *
root@OpenWrt:/mnt# service fstab boot
block: unable to load configuration (fstab: Parse error (invalid command) at line 8, byte 0)
block: no usable configuration

cat /etc/config/fstab

1 Like
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/fstab
config global
	option anon_swap  '0'
	option anon_mount '0'
	option auto_swap  '1'
	option auto_mount '1'
	option delay_root '5'
	option check_fs   '0'

UUID=79792aac-afdb-48b6-9ac4-25062f5f3715	/mnt/sdb1	ext4	0	0
config 'mount'
        option  target  '/overlay'
        option  uuid    '79792aac-afdb-48b6-9ac4-25062f5f3715'
        option  enabled '1'

This line is not valid in the file, delete it.

Also it seems that you are trying to mount the same partition under /mnt/sdb1 when it is already configured to be mounted in /overlay.

/mnt/sdb1 is a 4 gig flash drive for extended storage.

root@OpenWrt:/# mount -a
mount: mounting UUID=e8577c39-a69c-4a4e-8717-26de715249ec on /mnt/sda1 failed: No such file or directory

is a 500gig external drive holding multimedia (for samba, eventually, after this mess I've made is fixed.)

block info; uci show fstab; grep -e /overlay /etc/mtab; df /overlay /; ls -la /mnt/

@trendy -- Thank you so much for this. I've got it working now and am closing this post.

What was the problem eventually?

1. I do not really know, but the OpenWRT page for using USB devices, makes you write a filesystem to it, which wipes the files. I transferred (years of collected) movies to the desktop 'puter and ran the commands on that page. That causes the RPCError to not appear, but rather the proper LuCI mount points page and info.
  2. I apologize to you. I'm in my 70s. Sometimes, the easiest method is the best one for me, as I'll see output of cli to run and then try to chase it down in terms of the problem at this forum or on Google. That causes me to chase down a rabbit hole.
    Thank you, OpenWRT community. Again.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.