Request for help with first install of OpenWrt snapshot on a Fritzbox 7530

I'm sorry for screwing up that post. For me it was a natural process as the installation of openWRT using the Wiki was the easiest part :-).

@andyboeh yes, i changed that on the LAN side for setup purpose. Not sure whether that was required, but think so. Do I have to reconfigure the LAN link (see my LUCI screenshot - there you see also it's set to DHCP client) or just change the protocol type in the config?
Maybe I should just reconfigure three of my four ports as DHCP Server, the fourth as client (to be on the safe side)? But then I would have to redo my 'br-lan' bridge I guess.

@andyboeh regarding the link to the ISP configuration: yes, read that but wasn't sure how it works out for me (e.g. my original Fritz!Box states annex a - the config annex b).

To continue that hijacked thread :innocent::

1. any suggestions ad firewall?
  2. any idea how i can download the opkg repository (I learned that by using the snapshot opkg might stop working "soon"

kr

p.s. sorry for the late reply - forum rules :slight_smile:

No, it's not required to change the LAN confoguration - why should it be? You install OpenWrt, configure your computer as DHCP client and have access to the box at 192.168.1.1.

IDK how to configure it back, I never changed that.

AFAIK the Annex is not important for VDSL, only for ADSL.

ad 1: what do you want to change? The default firewall is fine from a security perspective.

ad 2: It could be that there is information on the Wiki, I never did that. I just upgrade to the latest snapshot if something breaks (or stay with a self-compiled image).

I connected the FritzBox to my LAN as a DHCP client so I could run opkg install etc. It was quite easy to transfer the image/sysupgrade via scp, but I had no idea how to connect the FritzBox to the internet before I got the DSL modem up and running.

Regarding the firewall: was not sure whether i need to configure it or not!
Ad upgrade: ah, so just download the syupgrade bin and install it keeping settings it is. Sounds good, thx.

Well, to get online you actually only need the firmware file, and this can be transferred via scp. But of course, DHCP client works.

You can also install attended sysupgrade, this will also keep your installed packages (i.e. upgrade them).

Okay, maybe I shouldn't have changed the settings. Switched my lan (br-lan; similar to yours @moeller0 ) from DHCP client to static and activated DHCP. Cannot login to openWRT anymore :sob:. I think this is what one would call a bricked device? Reflash like from the original Fritz! firmware doesn't work either... so no clue how to get that piece of electronics back online again :frowning:

Maybe try to follow:

Also please open a new thread as tis is way off-topic by now. You can always "summon" known users to a new thread by writing an at-sign (@) followed by their forum name, like @moeller0 and they should get a notification (that does not guarantee that they will respond, but at least they get information).

I tend to be relative tolerant to getting off-topic, but this is really more of an OpenWrt/DSA 101 than specific to the FB7530 let alone flashing it from windows...

So what I would do is:

1. failsafe boot
  2. reset the router to initial srate: firstboot -y
  3. reboot it: reboot -f
  4. log in via SSH and do:
  5. upload the missing firmware for the lantig devices again
  6. reboot
  7. log in again and configure the wan to use dsl0.2 and PPPoE (put in your required credentials)
  8. run 'opkg update ; opkg install luci' and log in via your browser
  9. configure the rest as you desire it

Hi! I deleted WAN (more or less) and replaced modem:

config interface 'wan'
        option device 'br-dsl'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option username 'xxxx'
        option password 'xxxx'
        option ipv6 'auto'

config interface 'wan6'
        option device '@wan'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

Do I need the wan6? It still states "device not present".
Thanks

This seems wrong, you really should use dsl0.2 here, assuming you want to use the 7530 as modem router.

I think I should not have posted my non-standard config at all, in spite of my attempts to comment it, it clearly got you onto a sub-optimal course.

Thanks @moeller0

@tmomas , could you please split this thread into another one since comment #3, because it has heavily been cannibalized now? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Noooooo! Your post made it possible for me to connect to the internet. That was great - thanks a lot! I need real life examples to compare against wikis etc to get an idea how things work. I can tweak it anyhow as soon as my understanding deepens.
See it from my side:
-) flashing the Fritz!Box 7530 with OpenWrt: pass
-) recovering after a bad network config: pass
-) switching to snapshot release: pass
-) connecting to the internet: pass
-) configuring the Fritz!Box to serve as SCHP client and DHCP server at th1e same time with different ports: pass

Thanks a lot! NOW it's time to optimize the network setting. I still don't understand why you consider it suboptimal. But hopefully eventually I can understand it.

You meant that I can get rid of the br-dsl and directly configure the modem as wan? I have to think that through and get behind your config.

So thanks again, highly appreciated.

KR

Split from the original thread @WotC's first post in this thread.

1 Like

@WotC I also told you to remove br-dsl and simplify it a few days ago. Getting DSL to work is really straight forward on this box.

As promised, I'm posting my 7520 config that I set up on the weekend - ISP is A1:

config interface 'loopback'
	option device 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'xxxxxx::/48'

config atm-bridge 'atm'
	option vpi '1'
	option vci '32'
	option encaps 'llc'
	option payload 'bridged'
	option nameprefix 'dsl'

config dsl 'dsl'
	option tone 'b'
	option ds_snr_offset '0'
	option firmware '/lib/firmware/xcpe_8.D.1.C.1.7_8.D.0.E.1.2.bin'
	option annex 'b'

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	list ports 'lan1'
	list ports 'lan2'
	list ports 'lan3'
	list ports 'lan4'

config interface 'lan'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.17.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'
	option device 'br-lan.300'

config interface 'Management'
	option proto 'static'
	option device 'br-lan.1'
	option ipaddr '192.168.20.1'

config interface 'Haustechnik'
	option proto 'static'
	option device 'br-lan.200'
	option ipaddr '192.168.18.1'

config device
	option name 'dsl0'
	option macaddr xxxxxxxxx'

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'pppoe'
	option device 'dsl0.2'
	option username 'xxxxxxxxx'
	option password 'xxxxxxxx'
	option ipv6 'auto'
	option keepalive '3 5'
	option peerdns '0'
	list dns '208.67.222.222'
	list dns '208.67.220.220'

config interface 'wan6'
	option device '@wan'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config bridge-vlan
	option device 'br-lan'
	option vlan '1'
	list ports 'lan4:t*'

config bridge-vlan
	option device 'br-lan'
	option vlan '200'
	list ports 'lan1:u*'
	list ports 'lan2:u*'
	list ports 'lan3:u*'
	list ports 'lan4:t'

config bridge-vlan
	option device 'br-lan'
	option vlan '300'
	list ports 'lan4:t'

Keep in mind that this uses VLANs! Interface LAN is on VLAN 300 and only port 4 receives it as a tagged VLAN (along with the otehr VLANs, that's my trunk port to the managed switch). Ports 1, 2 and 3 are untagged but are in the "Management" VLAN with ID 200. The firewall config is not included, but is set up so that all VLANs can access the internet but only VLAN 300 and initiate connections to the other VLANs.

If you want to separate just the ports, you do not need to mess around with VLANs as described here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/dsa/dsa-mini-tutorial#multiple_bridged_networks

Thanks again for your support @andyboeh. Yes, I removed br-dsl already and simplified tmy network config. It takes me some time to figure out how to best accomplish my tasks. And YES, if you know how to to it, it's really simple to get it working - for a beginner... let's say not so easy.

Still not perfect as I get an alias of "wan" - but that's also on the top do list. As is setting up fast roaming with an old Netgear EX3700 I found. ddns is working, too - even https - nice :-). Too much to do, not enough time. But thanks again for your support - I'll dig through your config as well.

KR

1 Like

Can you please elaborate on what you changed to have the "Network device is not present" Eror go away? Or maybe post your current config file?
I am havin the same issue on a FB7530 with Openwrt 23.05.0, all additional FW files in the correct folders and even manually set the "Firmare File" option in ''Network => Interfaces => DSL''.
I am with the German Telekom, here's my config:

'config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd8c:b815:0ddc::/48'

config atm-bridge 'atm'
        option vpi '1'
        option vci '32'
        option encaps 'llc'
        option payload 'bridged'
        option nameprefix 'dsl'

config dsl 'dsl'
        option annex 'j'
        option tone 'b'
        option ds_snr_offset '0'
        option firmware '/lib/firmware/xcpe_8D1507_8D0901.bin'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'lan1'
        list ports 'lan2'
        list ports 'lan3'
        list ports 'lan4'

config interface 'lan'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        option ip6assign '60'

config device
        option name 'dsl0'
        option macaddr '74:42:7F:3A:DC:93'
        option mtu '1500'

config interface 'wan'
        option device 'dsl0.7'
        option proto 'pppoe'

config interface 'wan6'
        option device '@wan'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'

config device
        option type '8021q'
        option ifname 'dsl0'
        option vid '7'
        option name 'dsl0.7'

config interface 'test'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option device 'lan4' 

You'll need to add this in your wan section sooner or later:

option password 'xxxxxxxx'
option username 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#0001@t-online.de'

and remove this whole part:

My configuration works really fine on DTAG VDSL.

Is the DSL modem connected? If you are using the LuCI web interface, the DSL status should be on the start page. Otherwise, run ubus call dsl metrics from the command line.

Thans for your wuick reply, I do get that i have to put in my identification for PPPoE to work.
But why do i need to remove the device config for the 801q device?
Ithought i needed that so i can use "dsl0.7" as a device in th "wan" interface and therefor tell it to use VLAN7

the s´dsl0 port shows up in the GUI as well as the DSL stauts further down on the start page.
I gues that means its connected?

It shouldn't really matter whether there is an explicit "8021q" section in the config. Without it, the VLAN interface should still created automatically as long as the WAN interface is configured to use dsl0.7. But having the section also shouldn't break anything.

The interface shows up in the web interface because it is configured. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that it exists as an actual Linux network interface. It is only actually created by the modem driver when it establishes a connection.

If you can see the message "Network device is not present" (as you mentioned earlier) that sounds like the interface doesn't actually exist. You can check using the web interface by going into "Network" -> "Interfaces" and then the "Devices" tab. If you hover over the network icon, the status of the interface should be shown.

Also, the actual DSL line state shown on the overview page should contain "Showtime" if the modem is connected.