Request for help with first install of OpenWrt snapshot on a Fritzbox 7530

No, the image is too old. When 22.03 was released, the driver for the VDSL modem was not included.

The snapshot images are regularly auto-generated by build bots. You always get the latest code, but once your installed image is too old, newly installed packages won't work (properly).

EDIT: I just edited the Wiki to clarify that the VDSL modem is not supported on 22.03.

Noooooo :-(. Okay, think I have to somehow get a snapshot on that modem/router... I think thats the page to start, right? https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-quick-start/developmentinstallation

Thought this here is promising: :-(. It least it seems to SEE the modem?! But "ubus call dsl metrics" didn't work at all. So a lot of work to do.

KR&TY

Edit: I will continue tomorrow/these days. Hopefully I find enough time over the weekend :-)!

Go to devices, if there is a dsl0 interface, it's working. If not, the driver is missing.

Snapshot installation is as easy as the stable image, just head over to https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic/ and download the image. You can even install the image via LuCI web interface, just make sure that you do not keep settings. The network configuration structure has changed, your device won't come up if you keep settings.

Thanks for the hints. Now I see what you meant that it might not last for long. Wasn’t aware that opkg only works for a few days. Phase 2 snapshots might work longer though.

I suppose I can’t backup my settings? Just the config changes most likely… will be a challenge :-).

Hi @WotC ,

Although your post is a bit off-topic (here is just a step-by-step installation guide to just flash the image on the router - not a setup guide for your configuration), I can share my thoughts:

I finally found the solution (probably the best): I sold it! Otherwise there was a high risk it would be thrown out of the window with the possibility of someone passing by and get injured.

In my opinion, and as I still read the rest of the comments here, it looks that the stage of support/setup of this device is still a $%/*tshow (at least the "stable" branch build). I indeed found the snapshot build a lot better in terms of the setup, but then you start accepting the challenges with updating packages, not initial availability of luci, etc. I gave up when I tried to ring-fence one of the LAN ports to behave exactly as an individual WAN port. But at the same time, I am not a very experienced OpenWrt user/geek, hence it could be easier than thought.
Imo, if you really want to mess around with this device or have unlimited amount of time and/or patience then please go ahead and experiment.. for a month's worth of work.

The reality is that the support/setup for this device is still quite immature compared to other devices (e.g. R7800), which makes sense for a relatively new device [not too many people use it + issues will be ironed out gradually with time].

Sorry, but I just want to make your life easier! :slight_smile:

What are phase 2 snapshots? opkg works perfectly fine and "forever" on release builds, but the snapshot packages and images are overwritten.

Sure you can, but you shouldn't restore them blindly :wink:

If you are feeling adventurous, you can try this procedure to keep the settings: Adding support for VRX518 (and maybe VRX320) - #245 by dhewg

It worked for me, just read the next few posts on settings the compat_version via uci.

I'm sorry to read that.
It's one of the very few supported modem-router devices, there is not much choice if you want decent performance. And if you go for a (used) 7520, they are really cheap.

I agree with you that the installation is relatively complicated since you need the intermediary U-Boot, but once you've got this ironed out, it works flawlessly and stable.

1 Like

Sowhile I am not a total beginner anymore, I found the instructions for installation and firmware building, if one starts with:

relatively straight forward and easy to follow.
The installation instruction even tackles the one big issue with configuring br-lan for different VLAN tags.

1 Like

Thanks - I'll check the devices page. Another question regarding snapshot: sysupgrade is sufficient (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ipq40xx/generic/openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-avm_fritzbox-7530-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) or do I have to start with a "factory install"?

Sysupgrade is the correct one if the starting base is OpenWrt already. Use factory when you booted into the original firmware.

1 Like

Hi again :-)!
Okay, I made a sysupgrade -n using the latest snapshot. It was quite tricky (for me) to get first the WIFI (easier) and than the LAN port up using the command line.
After plying around a little bit I figured it out and install luci at the moment :-).
I keep you posted. Thanks to all of you!

KR

2 Likes

I feel your pain. That was the point I reached before I decided that I rather built my own snapshot image with all the stuff that I would like (luci, ...) included. :wink:

Honestly, I currently have NO clue how to build my own snapshot image (I know you provided a link, thx) - that will come next :-).

And I even see dsl0 in the devices section wahoooo. I'm just a little concerned that in the interface section it's stated "network device is not present" :smirk:

So... what's up next? I suppose getting the modem up and running? Afterwards changing the interfaces from DHCP client to DHP server? Make a nap?

Which ISP are you customer of, and in which country?

Also, after you installed/copied the /lib/firmware files did you restart the 7530?

You are right - didn't think of the drivers :roll_eyes:. But I thought of them before reading your post :partying_face:- box is restarting at the moment. Country = Austria, provider = A1/Telekom

Okay... didn't work... what the fish? It worked with v22.0.3 (at least after installing the drivers, not showing in the device section, but at least not complaining that the device is not present :thinking:

Do I have to configure routing as well?

It looks like you need to use VLAN tag 2 for A1, see here:

What does dmesg show an wha ifconfig?

Currently I'm struggling with VLANs... Has that changed from 22.03.3 how to set this up? Can't get there (managed it in 22.03.3 though):

I think the FB7530/7520 installation instruction has valid advice for VLANs on these, see "VLAN setuo" on:

Note the section starting with:
" When configuring the VLANs it is very important to bind the LUCI network interfaces to the correct physical interfaces before applying the settings. Otherwise you will be locked out of the device and need to reflash it!"

And this:
"It has been mentioned in the forums that with this SoC, VLAN IDs 1 and 2 are treated specially by the hardware driver ([solved] VLANs on ipq40xx alternative config (for Fritzbox 4040) - #6 by aboaboit) so it is probably best to avoid VLAN ID 1 and 2 if possible. This may change with updated hardware drivers."

otherwise things go boink...

Yeah, struggling with that... Okay, the default LUCI installation misses the "switch" menu :rofl:

No I think that went away with swconfig, this is the new DSA way, and that is going to stay, swconfig is dead... but the instructions on the install page are still fine, at least they worked for me :wink: