Replicate 5Ghz wifi setup and how to troubleshoot client issue

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the OpenWRT and have a question in regards to the Wireless setup.

I had a TCL TV and it is very slow on the 5GHz channel on my new SSID (OpenWRT). (1 - 5 Mbps download). I do not see the same problem on my any other devices (phone/laptop), same location (easily 60-70 Mbps download)

I have another wireless setup before having OpenWRT (mesh TP-LINK M5) and can confirm the TCL TV did pretty good on that network (also reach 60-70Mbps download)

Note: this is all about the internet speed test. I did not done any ipert from the TCL TV (Android TV)

My question is:

• How can I replicate the same wireless 5GHz setting from the TP-LINK mesh wireless that I have.
  • When I am doing speed test, on the client tab openwrt, it is showing as below:

-55 dBm
65.0 Mbit/s, 20 MHz, VHT-MCS 7, VHT-NSS 1
58.5 Mbit/s, 20 MHz, VHT-MCS 6, VHT-NSS 1

Setup:
TP Link Archer C2 - 750 Mbps(300 + 450) - Ancient device
5Ghz: MediaTek MT7610E 802.11acbgn

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
	option txpower '6'
	option country 'AU'
	option channel 'auto'
	option htmode 'VHT40'

config wifi-iface 'wifinet3'
	option ssid 'DHCP-IOT-IN-5'
	option device 'radio0'
	option mode 'ap'
	option network 'IOTSVIIN'
	option key 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
	option isolate '1'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'

option txpower '6' is rather little, especially during debugging I'd omit this setting altogether and let the chip decides its own default (full power); yes, tuning the txpower down as much as possible is beneficial, but only after the basics are working. Changing/ testing different channels instead of using auto would be another topic to test (not all chipsets/ drivers cope well with auto).

Interoperability between different STA <--> AP combinations are not unheard of, only some of them fixable one-sided-only. Fortunately mt76 is actively maintained, but mt7610e less so than mt7615e or mt7915eā€¦ Testing a current snapshot might make a difference, given that mt76 is regularly updated. If neither of these help, borrowing a different router (different wireless chipset) could also help establishing a baseline.

1 Like

Just to add to what @slh has said, I have a tcl tv that slows down to 1mbps anytime wireless settings on the router are changed, even though the router is right under the tv and signal always reads excellent, even returning to the working settings the speed stays at 1mbps, the only fix I've ever found was to reset the wifi connection on the tcl and connect again.

@slh
Thank you for the suggestion, what is the channel you suggest using on the 5Ghz band ? and what is the channel width I should use.

I got very annoy problem is that once I change the setting for 5Ghz and Save and Apply, the radio0 is gone/in Luci showing as 'Device is not active'
Need to restart the router to get thing back again. Restart the radio0 itself seem doing nothing.
Running on 19.07.7 firmware.

@mike Do you mean forget network and reconnect in the TCL TV setting ? Tried that but does not seem to make any effect.

For starters, VHT80 - and a non-DFS channel.

1 Like