Replace pre-installed isp custom openwrt with stock openwrt

I bought an lte modem with a pre-installed openwrt but with customizations from the isp (webui logo and others).

Can i replace it with stock or vanilla openwrt? They are using the chaos calmer version. I can't seem to find a way to install a firmware in the gui. I that exists, i think they removed that option. I only have access to telnet. Is that possible?

I have no experience with this kind of thing but im willing to explore. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

If the device of yours is in the table of hardware at https://openwrt.org/toh/start then yes. If it's not, then someone would have to port OpenWrt for it.

1 Like

It's not 'customised' in the way you think. You are looking at an image pooped out by some vendor SDK, which is losely based on an OpenWrt snapshot at some point (often in the distant past), with lots of binary blobs and undocumented code/hacks to get it to do what it needs to do.

1 Like

It depends on what model you have. For example the ZBT WE-XX26 series was re-badged to a lot of different names and commonly sold as a turn-key ISP package, but its hardware is well supported.

2 Likes