I (happily) use since years a Western Digital My Net N750 as my main router since CC-15 and recently upgraded in 19.07.03 without too much trouble.
I'm very happy with this router because:
- great form factor for a router only (no bad looking antennas, easy to install where I need to have it)
- very good looking (I know, I know, good looking should not be so important ... but ...)
- 4+1 Gb/s ports
- easy to flash with OpenWrt
- no CPU problem with my slow 15/1Mb/s DSL
- a physical button (WPS) that can be easily used to start/stop radio in OpenWrt (important feature for me)
- it can hold 2 WAN with mwan3 easily (sometime 2 ADSL line, sometime 1 ADSL + 1 LTE with a huawei LTE router in front, always wanted to try with a LTE USB stick direct on the router but I didn't take time to test that)
Until recently I only used it as a (wired) router with no radio at all, as I have 2 Tplink (C5 V1 / C7 V2) acting as AP-only elsewhere in the house providing a correct coverage ... reverted back them a long time ago with stock firmware.
I need to find another router to replace it:
- I need to have a spare router ... when dooing maintenance/update on the main router you plug the spare in place when working on the main ... then doing the same on the spare for the next time.
- I really want to keep OpenWRT on it
- I hope to upgrade my internet line soon (fiber is under deployment in my town, with 400Mb/s up/down or 1000/600 depending on how many money I want to put on that monthly)
- I still need it to have Wifi on it, at least on the 2.4 band -> I'm starting to work more often at home, so I created a "guest" wifi network on the WD router, totally isolated from my LAN, to connect my pro laptop. I really don't want this computer to see anything of my network ! (so it is important for me to have a easy to reach button to stop/start the wifi on the main router). I can't do that with my Archer routers as they are only on the LAN side.
- I (really) don't want to replace this king of hardware any year (3 to 5 year is acceptable)
So I have indentify some routers (all ipq40xx equiped ?) to do the job after a week of searching, but I can't spend enough time to dig, dig, dig enough this subject to be sure I do a correct choice.
Can anybody help me in that quest ?
What I have found in a correct price range (understand well under 200EUR/USD - for information I live in France):
- AVM FRITZ!Box 4040 (70~80€)
- GL.iNet GL-B1300 (80~90€)
- ZyXEL NBG6617 ... unable to find one, more expensive and external antennas that will make this router hard to install where I have the WD
I'm a bit concerned about VLAN ipq40xx 's behaviour (for MWAN3 if I want a 4G/LTE backup WAN)
Do I missed anything ?
Are there anothers good/better routers for my need ?
Do you have any better CPU/router/idea for my need ?
Can I do that with OpenWrt or do I need to use any router with it stock firmware
Many thanks in advance,
Sorry for my poor English, that is not my native language !