Remove all ipv6

It's great to see that almost half of all US traffic is in IPv6, but yeah in the business world, IPv6 is really slow, don't think my work VPN or intranet offers any IPv6 at all

Out of curiosity, today (2021), what would an average home user (public IPv4, no carrier grade NAT, so just 1 NAT on your home router?) miss out by not having IPv6 connectivity? I might look into a HE tunnel or something if there's anything significant.

AFAIK there's some potential benefit of having Xbox Live on IPv6, which reduces issues caused by badly implemented NATs

In theory, by having ipv6, a lot of game issues can be fixed. In practice game developers are slow to move to ipv6 networking. But yeah, you can do stuff like host minecraft servers.

It generally is way more satisfying for interactive stuff, like video calls are more reliable and there's less chance of one way audio in VOIP etc. But again, it needs to be with software that actually utilizes the ipv6.

much of the benefit to the end user is hidden by piles of work-arounds. So people will say "hey my video calls worked before, nothing is different" but before maybe some reflector device out on the internet was facilitating that for you, and now with ipv6 it's not necessary to have that third party device in the packet stream. This doesn't appear as a benefit to the end user, but it's definitely a benefit to the health of the internet.

I know about people hosting like ipv6 only mumble servers on their home network... it just works, like the internet was supposed to.

1 Like

For almost a year by now, I'm on a fast new ftth connection - with one drawback, cgNAT + /56 IPv6 prefix…

My ISP (which is rather new to the party and didn't get a sufficient share of IPv4 addresses) can't give me a globally routable IPv4 address, all they could offer me would be a paid (external) tunneling provider on top - or a business account (technically not available to me) for a significant markup (~twice (everything considered about three times- and higher setup fees) that of the consumer consumer contracts, with some additional caveats). So yes, I do use IPv6 for incoming VPN access (wireguard) and it works (likewise accessing external VoIP/ SIP services just works over IPv6, but wouldn't over cgNAT), aside from a few cloud based IoT devices, all of my internal hosts are IPv6 capable and around 60% of my traffic is IPv6 based by now (the sad exemption are large cdn cloud resources). While I had a difficult time to decide if I should sign up with this ISP, I think it has paid off (at least the /56 prefix is semi-static, making quite a few things easier) - but in order for this to work out, I depend on IPv6 connectivity to be ubiquitous - so I can reach my home VPN endpoint via IPv6 from everywhere I go (my mobile ISP has IPv6 connectivity, but friends, family and work are another topic).

Reality is that IPv4 is no longer sufficient, we really need IPv6 now - yes, this might differ regionally (and also depends on your chosen ISP, the old established ones have more IPv4 addresses in store than newer cable, fibre or wireless based ones), but in order to reach the whole world, there is no way around it.

3 Likes

Great writeup!
I'm in the opposite situation, global IPv4 address(es) (yeah I can get many, not static tho) and no IPv6

Should I look into HE IPv6 tunnel or switching ISP? What (public service) is currently IPv6 only? (What am I missing out)

These work quite well, I've been using them until 2017 (and still am, for a specific purpose). IPv6 support obviously is an important topic when selecting an ISP for me (one of the reasons why I picked this particular mobile 4g/ 5g ISP). If your ISP doesn't provide IPv6 connectivity, they are offering a great service - both to gain experience with IPv6 itself (their certification program is useful) and to access IPv6-only resources.

1 Like

which providers do you have that offer ipv6 SIP service?

sipgate and dus⋅net are popular independent (dedicated) SIP providers in Germany, both offer IPv6 connectivity.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.