Remotely Monitor Bandwidth Usage

Hey Guys -

I've been using OpenWRT / LEDE for a while now and am currently looking for an easy way to monitor used bandwidth (Entire LAN and/or individual hosts) remotely. My ideal solution would be a phone (Android) app and perhaps opkg app combination which would tell me the download & upload bandwidth used for my network which I could use anywhere. A plus would be some sort of automation implementation (can be in app) where I could trigger alerts via Tasker if upload reached X mbps or something.

I realize I could access LUCI remotely and currently have luci-wrtbwmon installed, but am looking for something less tedious. An app that would provide this and more options for a current LEDE build (like configuration of port forwarding) would be good, too.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

vnstat?
You can use nginx and host it separately public for instance
There are other options too depending on how detailed information you need, keep in mind that it can be quite taxing on the router.

Thanks -

I might try it out. Already have nginx running reverse proxy on a host so could use that.I assume you mean that vnstat is what could be taxing. The router is already running the network stats that come with the image plus am trying out luci-wrtbwmon/wrtbwmon currently, too.

If you or anyone else thinks of something else to look at, please let me know -

Thanks

You could feed the collectd data to something like Grafana. The router itself may not be appropriate to host the database (Influxdb, Graphite) and Grafana. You probably need another host to do that. I just played a few minutes here with mine but unfortunately I cannot get it to show something that comes close to a bandwidth usage graph or stat. The reason I bring it up at all is that you can define thresholds and alerts and you have a variety of methods which includes (but not limited to) almost every popular messaging service.

1 Like

I use snmpd on the OpenWrt and Cacti on my webserver to collect the data.

Yes, this works actually really nicely. I wrote a blog post about how to set it up now: