Remote assistant application

For the BT Hub 5 with OpenWrt installed, is there a remote application/solution like DWservice or TeamViewer (gui not required)?
I encountered a situation where the internet connection was still working, but the router had lost its VPN settings. To fix the issue, a manual reboot was required.
Thank you

A remote solution to access the device, not necessarily with a GUI? Sure. It's called SSH and it's built in to the device.

1. Create a remote ed25519 key for whatever device will be connecting using whatever ssh client you want to use.
  2. Add the key to your BT Hub's list of authorized keys in System -> Administration -> SSH JKeys
  3. Once you've tested that on your LAN and can get in to the device's ssh with keys, then disallow all password logins in System -> Administration -> SSH Access
  4. Set the ssh interface to unspecified, also in System -> Administration -> SSH Access
  5. Allow incoming ssh connections on the WAN in Network -> Firewall -> Traffic Rules.

The entry in /etc/config/firewall in step 5 will look something like this when done:

config rule
option name 'Allow-Remote-SSH'
	option src 'wan'
	option proto 'tcp'
	option dest_port '22'
	option target 'ACCEPT'

SSH with passwords disabled (especially the nice lean dropbear used by OpenWrt) is as safe as a VPN, easier to set up, and very versatile. I also have wireguard set up on two different internal devices to access my LAN, but I find that SSH is the most reliable "last resort".

I use a second VPN on a RPI zero just for this situation. Didn't like the idea of exposing router to internet by SSH. I run Adguard Home on the Pi as well.

I already had a Raspberry Pi-based solution in place, but I was seeking to have an application installed on the router.
Of course I can use an ssh connection, but I wouldn't know what IP address would be if the VPN connection failed.
The openwrt router is linked to a modem with a dynamic IP address, to which I have no access and would not be aware of the ip address.
For the time being, I'll remain with the raspberry pi option.
I appreciate your help.

If your device loses its VPN configuration, chances are anything else would be affected just alike - in either case it's just files on the filesystem. Adding more points of access that need securing won't really improve the situation.

A dynamic DNS service, of which there are many, could help here. I like and use (and optionally pay for) FreeDNS.afraid.org. There are others, some free, some paid for.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.