"relocation R_X86_64_32S against symbol `symbol_yes' "error when using make

recently I get this error when issuing the command "make" (or even "make menuconfig")

make[1]: Entering directory '/media/shared/projects/LEDE/source/scripts/config'

/usr/bin/ld: zconf.tab.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against symbol `symbol_yes' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/checklist.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/util.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/inputbox.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/textbox.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/yesno.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: lxdialog/menubox.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output

I use archlinux and it recently dropped th sdcc package from main repos and installing it again from AUR repo didn't help. maybe that is not relevant but I mention it because I see that is one of the dependencies in build environment for lede.

Retry after running make -C scripts/config/ clean

2 Likes

btw am I to understand that lede and openwrt got together? now with git should I use?openwrt? and for packages?
is it lede just moved over to openwrt domain git?

thanks

See this message on the LEDE mailing list.

This fixes it for me, I had old build cruft left over from LEDE.

Thanks for this. I also ran into the same issue after upgrading my build system from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.