Relayd - Is it possible to use both radios (2,4 and 5 Ghz) for WWAN connection?

Hi experts,
i have successfully configured my Archer C7 with the relayd configuration.
It is working fine...

My question:
Is it possible to use both radios (2,4 and 5 Ghz) for WWAN connection to my ISP Router ?

Right now WWAN and WWAN6 uses only the 5 Ghz radio.
The 2,4 Ghz radio is only used as master (AP).

best regards
Klaus

The short answer is 'no', nor should you want to do that. If you're in range if the 5 GHz BSSID, it will be so much faster than the 2.4 GHz one that trying to rope in the later would do more harm than good. If you aren't in range, you need to use 2.4 GHz anyways.

The medium answer would be, not with relayd and the OEM firmware on your uplink AP anyways.

The long answer...
...it's complicated.
In general, there can only be one default route, one route to a target, but you'd have both links fighting against each other to gain the upper hand, which causes havoc to your network.
One solution to this problem would be 'mesh', in the sense of 802.11s or B.A.T.M.A.N. - another would be, to a more limited extent, 802.11be aka wifi7 and MLO (but we're far away from support for wifi7 devices and MLO support is even further away (both kernel- and hostapd upstream are far away from it to 'just work').

Thanks for the detailed answer, that's what I was afraid of.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.