Reinstalled latest firmware and wireless tab is now missing

I've got a BT HH 5.0A and have been having issues with it. Was running a old LEDE version. I've now upgraded to the latest firmware using serial/uboot/tftp and after rebooting I'm missing the wireless tab.

Any ideas how to get this back.

Read through a few threads and running wifi config doesn't seem to do anything. The /etc/config/wireless file is 0 bytes. I've tried deleting and re-running wifi config and have the same issue.

uci show wireless also shows nothing.

My first suggestion would be to flash OpenWrt 21.02.1 again, using the sysupgrade image and sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-…sysupgrade.bin, ideally that sorts out the issue (by starting your configuration and the extracted/ converted wireless calibration data up new; to be on the extra safe side, let it settle for ~5 minutes, before trying to access the router after the flashing). If that sorts it out, great, all done - if not, you need to debug further (dmesg being the first thing to take a look at).

I'm not quite sure what how you've moved from 17.01.x to 21.02.x, depending on what you did, you might have damaged the wireless calibration data - which wouldn't be good (hopefully you do have the original backups in that case), but don't worry prematurely - test the sysupgrade first.

Thanks for the suggestions. Many many hours later and a few reloads and its working.

First I did the sysupgrade -n as you suggested. Still the issue persisted.
In the kernel logs I did find this which looks suspicious

[   12.046355] ath9k_pci_owl_loader 0000:00:0e.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[   12.053205] ath9k_pci_owl_loader 0000:00:0e.0: Direct firmware load for ath9k-eeprom-pci-0000:00:0e.0.bin failed with error -2
[   12.063591] ath9k_pci_owl_loader 0000:00:0e.0: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: ath9k-eeprom-pci-0000:00:0e.0.bin

Tried flashing both the latest nightly and the stable - no go.
I didn't have a nand flash from the the original BT firmware (It was upgraded many years ago) but I did have a dump before I started messing around.

Did a restore and then loaded the latest stable and viola - it's working!

I've noticed in the kernel log the above error is no longer there and I now get:

[   12.209492] ath9k_pci_owl_loader 0000:00:0e.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[   12.218812] ath9k_pci_owl_loader 0000:00:0e.0: fixup device configuration

I think If I didnt have the nand dump I would have been really stuffed.

Note to self - store the dumps somewhere safe. You never know when you might need it years down the line.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.