Reghack works in the latest stables versions of LEDE?

Probably this is what you want to achieve...
Shouldn´t be that illegal as the reghack because it only bypasses the eeprom limits.

Title 47, United States Code of Federal Regulations, Part 15:

users manual or instruction manual for an intentional or unintentional radiator shall caution the user that changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment

At least in the US, it is.

Also, please understand the power at the emitter and the power at antenna are totaled together. If you were to successfully increase power, you still must ensure that you are not transmitting over-power at the antenna. These calculations were done by the manufacturer (i.e. the party responsible for compliance).

2 Likes

I´ve never said that it´s not illegal...

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, how much “over legal limit” would we be able to realistically do? Are most of our “simple consumer routers” really able to produce that much power, without any additional hardware modifications??

Very unlikely.

2 Likes

Probably none...but in worse case scenario:

• you could jam a military radar...and in such case, I'm sure you'll pique the interest of your Radio Regulator-Enforcer (i.e. FCC Enforcement Bureau) in your Nation.

Maybe; but overpower is not the only (or most major) concern that could arise.

• another risk is overpowering the radio out of spec and causing spurious emissions, which again, are out of the original specifications for use of the device as intended by the manufacturer.
  • I've also seen devices with "poorly written" (or illegally configured) firmware operate at 40 MHz in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, despite the band being completely congested.
2 Likes

@xhaka reghack2 works on the LEDE builds, but not on the OpenWRT 18.06 branch and the master branch.

To be able to achieve the same as what the reghack2 does on OpenWRT 18.06 and the master branch I created a patch (used at own risk since it can violate the FCC rules in your country) which I uploaded in this thread:

I see the link I provided in the thread has expired if you want I can re-upload it.

1 Like

I reuploaded the patch it can be found here

2 Likes

does it work with wrt3200acs?

@Ansuel The patch should work on all architectures. With the reghack(2) the hack was bounded to the architectures this patch is not and it will be part of the image when applying instead of applying the reghack afterwards.

I created it for my own use on ar71xx and its working as expected for other architectures I'm not sure just try it out. I tested it on the latest LEDE stable branch and OpenWRT 18.06.

The only scenario it won't work I believe is if the values are hardcoded EEPROM like the devices in the thread I shared yesterday.

For the patch to work you need to choose US or 00 world as the region in the Wifi settings because the patch changes the values only for those regions.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

US and World...are clearly defined...World is defined by the ITU and US by the FCC...I think you should THINK about what I meant by:

WARNING AND ADVICE: Just don't improperly set those values in the US and/or in International Territory (which is enforced by someone), respectively...

Also, another risk of certain spurious emissions over-power, is that they are above the legal limit, and are termed: out-of-band (since you voided the Part 15 authorization, at least in the US)...which is illegal.

1 Like

Also, if you know the original author of Reghack, I'd like to ask them about the software's license.

It does have a legal purpose, and I think someone's is using it...without contributing back.

Sorry but I think you didn’t read that I put a note to use my patch at your own risk because it can violate the FCC rules in your country

I created the patch for my own use and shared it with the community so you can choose to use it or not.

I did read it...not sure it had bearing on my concern though....in any case...

Have you ever gave permission to any projects to include this patch in their firmwares?

Hi there @lleachii, yes the moment I shared the patch I gave permission to use it freely. Also to include it in a firmware.

Thats the beauty of this community that by sharing things it is possible to make a good ecosystem like LEDE and OpenWRT even better by customizing it as desired.

Too clearify between the reghack(2) and my patch. They share the same goal to disable DFS and to fully use the maximum amount of dbm available in a device, but the approach is different.

The reason I created the patch is that the stock firmware for my device uses the maximum dbm and no DFS. DFS is giving me problems with some smartphones, so I wanted to disable that. The reghack cannot be applied anymore to the master and 18.06 branch because there are a lot under the hood changes.

1 Like

Hi, @bladeoner

I'm a novice, in this custom LEDE / OpenWrt build, I just downloaded your patch;

Copy the patch to: /openwrt/package/firmware/wireless-regdb/patches

You must delete the other existing files in that path or just copy and build make V=s.
I'm from Mexico and it's not illegal to use reghack, excuse my english.

I hope you can help me :grinning:

Hi @xhaka you need to keep all the files, just copy the patch to the directory and build your firmware.

1 Like

Closing this thread now.

Rationale: OpenWrt / LEDE does not endorse modifications aimed at circumventing regulatory rules.

3 Likes