Regarding the 4/32 warning

Hello !
sooo i own a TP-LINK MR3220 v2 running on Atheros AR9331. the last build for it is LEDE 17.0.x
BUT, i upgraded my spi flash to 16MB. also the ram i'm using a usb flash drive with SWAP ( the 64MB ram is on the way ). so regarding the 4/32 warning, why should i just "throw away" my device ?

My main question is that suppose i want to upgrade to LEDE 18.6 ( Provided i have enough flash and RAM ), where should i check that out ? ( because the LEDE 18.6 download page doesn't have the MR3220 idk why ).

also with future updates, what should i do ?

There is a Wiki page that has a few options for you. If you would like to give it a try.

https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

3 Likes

As you’ve changed your flash, you’re already in the realm of building your own images. Source will still remain available for some time, but you should not expect any changes for the ar71xx target and no testing of your device with the ath79 target.

4 Likes

Becasue it is getting too old. AFAIK ar71xx target is no longer upgraded and it has switched on to ath79. You will need to build your own firmware from source, not to mention you will need to change the Uboot to support the 16mb flash and maybe upgraded RAM.

2 Likes

yeah, just read about that after you told me.

but the thing is, there are some ar71xx still available in release 18.x
provided that my processor is mips_24kc, what should i do to get it working on mine ?
how shall i know which one of them has the same architecture so that i can download then tailor easily ( instead of starting from source )

There will be ar71xx devices under v19.07 as the last release for them, as I understand https://openwrt.org/meetings/hamburg2019/start

Early experiences in porting to ath79 are described on Porting guide ar71xx to ath79? The gist of it is that a proper DTS file needs to be created. There is no "cookbook" for this, though the device's "mach" file provides many of the clues as to what is needed. There are many ath79 DTS and DTSI files available for examination in target/linux/ath79/dts/ Once a "base" DTS file is available, changes such as "repartitioning" flash or RAM size are reasonably straightforward.