Recommended router for mobile mixing and recording

So live audio mixing over wifi it's a thing. I was thinking of having a router and an an rpi for recording but then thought why not just have a router that records audio.

What I would like is the ability to do simple multitrack recording from usb and wifi routing and I thought this might be a good place to start

Audio in via usb2 to router and dumped to some sort of storage (a fair bit of data sdxc would be ideal must support 10mb/s+)

Can anyone suggest something that might have enough throughput to be able to do this with the wifi not on the usb bus?

This is not going to happen (apart from x86_64 - and even on x86_64, OpenWrt would not meet requirements (installable packages, kernel tuning, etc.)).

The demands for a good wireless router (strong I/O, but no floating point operations needed) and those of A/V muxing/ trancoding (hardware accelerated floating point and extended ISA operations, fast CPU, big RAM, huge storage absolutely essential) are just too orthogonal. The RPi4 might meet the later, but it's a total failure on the wireless side - traditional wireless routers bring everything necessary to the table to do routing and wireless features, but they're unusable for advanced calculations, let alone transcoding - and even the ARMv7/ ARMv8 options have little RAM, little/ slow storage (not enough to install/ run your intended applications) and little headroom beyond their intended purposes.

Yes, you can make a fancy webradio from a router, but not anything meeting requirements for demanding multiple source/ multi-track and low-latency recording.

Personally I wouldn't really subscribe to that point of view (wireless is already heavily discouraged for gaming, due to the system inherent latencies; multi-track live recording and monitoring goes quite a bit beyond that), but it's not really my area of expertise either.

1 Like

I might have been unclear I don't expect the router to process audio just take the data from a UAC-2 audio device and dump it on SD card (straight copy data operation) as well as providing network access to a control interface for a mixer

For the record: xr18 ui24r zoom livetrack l20r :slight_smile: mixing consoles no control surface :slight_smile:

As someone who does sound production professionally, what you’re asking isn’t impossible, but if your goal is to have owrt be a medium that ‘automatically’ copies and dumps data, then you’ll probably need to setup a samba/ksmbd server on the owrt device and develop a script that can perform that action.

As far as owrt’s capabilities to manage sound software gui’s for devices, this won’t be any different than using any other router device to accomplish it. You’d setup a network interface and either bridge a switch port to it and/or setup a wifi SSID for the network.

In any case, the industry standards really like Behringer/Midas X32/M32 models and their derivatives for live production recording/mixing/data dumping and most vendors have been scrambling to follow suit.

I use owrt in tandem with an X32 board to manage it’s gui for monitor mixing with a tablet device, no problems, as well as using owrt with a dbx splitter and manage the splitter using its gui on the same tablet device.

My opinion - avoid using any mediums for digital data dumping (especially over wifi) because every medium passthrough will degrade the original sound file.

yep this is a local operation

USB multitrack soundcard -> usb flash or sd card for post production using ecasound on the owrt. latency doesn't matter.. it's purely tracking data from the usb sound interface to local sd/usb stick storage. (no samba no ksmbd)

This is for a portable live/record system most likely built around an XR18 mini mixer (the inbuilt wifi router is garbage so I have to have a router anyway and rather than adding a pi with something like https://www.z-liverec.com/ I thought there might be some openwrt hardware that could handle the simple grab data from usb soundcard write to usb flashstick problem

To be honest the audio requirements are above my head but the portable, USB and SD card part are all available in some of the Gl.iNet products.

GL-E750 (MUDI)
GL-XE300 (PULI)

These have batteries, but can run on 5V.