Recommendation - new router for new home

Hi guys, I know this should be straightforward, but I simply cannot make up my mind about which router to get.

Speed: 100 - 200 Mbits
Area - apartment, 100 m2
Requirement - gigabit ports, EU accessible
Number of devices connected - up to 4 computers (wired/wireless), various home automation gadgets
Budget - 50 - 200 Eur

I have had an awful experience with TP link, so I would like to avoid that brand.

I was looking at various Asus routers, but I don't have a clue if i should spring for the expensive 92u or can i buy a lower end model. I was also looking at the ax30 pro, but I'm not sure if it can withstand the test of time (i'd like something that lasts).

Any help, preferably explicit models, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

ASUS frequently makes use of Broadcom SoC, not exactly well liked by OpenWrt.

I am not familiar with what's available in the EU,
So with that said
and
If you are familiar with OpenWrt Development Snapshot builds,
The D-Link DIR-882 and DIR-2640 models has a really easy OpenWrt installation - D-Link Recovery mode.

I suggest you netgear R7800.
Really good and can be cheap in used.

1 Like

Netgear r7800 or ZyXEL NBG6817 (both ipq8065) would be good suggestions, towards the upper end of the budget and with some headroom for the future.

If you're looking for something cheaper, ipq40xx or mt7621a based devices should cover those requirements as well - depending on your expectations.

802.11ax devices are still very new when it comes to OpenWrt, buying any of those (Mediatek mt7622+mt7915e or Qualcomm ipq8074+qcn5024+qcn5054) would imply betting on the future, as they're not quite working yet (Mediatek is closer to completion than Qualcomm, but device availability sways the other way round).

The Huawei AX3 is very unlikely to ever be supported by OpenWrt.