Recommendation for secure, easily maintainable router?

My goal is to have a very secure, easily maintainable router. Should I simply buy a router that auto-updates its firmware? If so, which one? Do manufacturers provide auto-updates?

Does OpenWrt provide a system for auto-updates? From what I've read it appears that it does not. It also appears that updating OpenWrt is a bit of a pain, although I'm not sure. I'd be willing to spend 10 minutes a couple times a year to ensure that my router's firmware is up-to-date. Is this doable with OpenWrt? If so, is there documentation that shows what must be done?

Currently OpenWrt does not auto-update its firmware.

A commercial offering that's based on OpenWrt does. It's the IQrouter from Evenroute. You can check it out on Amazon.

2 Likes

The RPi4 has a ton of cpu power and operates on a micro sd card. Buy two sd cards and when time comes to upgrade write the new sd card from your PC, transfer settings and then swap the cards. Easy.

2 Likes

There is a paradox in your question. It is more secure to update your router yourself. There are things that can be done to make the update process quick and easy.