Recommend LTE routers to run OpenWrt?

yes, should work too.

Works perfect: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/smartphone.usb.tethering

Are there anyone working on OpenWrt for HUAWEI 5G Mobile WiFi Pro?

Huawei and openwrt doesn't go very well together ...

Proprietary, well .... everything, except for the sim slot

Feather. It would be very interesting to have a router in 5G.
Best

there's https://www.quectel.com/product/5g-rm510q-gl, (kind of How to use RM510Q-GL 5G LTE Modem with OpenWrt?) untested with openwrt though.

Unfortunately only one module to be included in any project. I'm looking for a travel router that already supports 5G

it's probably a dead end, until you can find a modem that can be used via USB...

there are 5G capable routers in the ToH though.

I don't think so. There are routers with 4G and they are very helpfull.

but 4G <> 5G

I'm not meaning 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band, but mobile 5G technology.

nor do I ....

Then, what you mean with 4G <> 5G? For me, an upgraded technology to arive greater traffic speed.

4G LTE router is already expansive.

5G, we could use a 5G phone for temp use.

If 5G connection needed long term uses, ISP will provide you a free hardware.

There's at least the ZYXEL NR7101 in the toh, but it doesn't quite fit the "travel router" requirement :wink:

Hard to filter out in the toh, since the modem entry only says "LTE". You can only find the 5G/NR support mentioned in a comment: https://openwrt.org/toh/views/toh_extended_all?dataflt[Comments+network+ports_*~]=NR

I guess this is because "LTE" was the closest value for the modem at the time I added this entry...

The other ZyXEL 5G routers in the same series should also be supportable, but none of them can be called travel routers.

Most Qualcomm X55 based modem modules, except those only supporting PCIe, should work with OpenWrt if you can find a travel router to put them in. The RM510Q is one of these. Maybe not the best choice unless you really need mmWave... And the power budget might be a problem with any travel router. Depends on what you expect out of the modem. If it's multi-gigabit then you'll need more power than any existing travel router I know of.

Check this, but still not all of LTE devices supported by openwrt:

I see no Netgear device supported.
Is there some specific reason (maybe some chipset(s) not supported) why?
Sorry for asking.
I have a Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro (MR6450). It is a mobile 5G router.
Ideally one day I would have it run OpenWRT.
But maybe these Netgear MiFi hotspot devices are not OpenWRT friendly?

Broadcom chipsets probably, you can find out at fccid.io.

2 Likes

@frollic : thanks for kind reply

Somehow I lost, or, perhaps, did not even find, my way at/into fccid.io ...
In so far that I could not find the MR6450 information via its FCC ID (simply because I do not know, and, cannot, or do not know howto, find the MR6450 FCC ID).

Sorry for my clumsyness.

I joined Netgear Forum to ask there about the MR6450 chipsets.
But no reply there either...