Recent builds failing on gettext-full

Thank-you for the log. -Wl,-z,now is different. Your build is not linking in zlib, and not requiring it.

I have discovered the build system is sensitive to the order that you make things. I think I've exposed a bug in the dependencies in OpenWrt. For example, if I am doing a full (all packages build) then if I do this:

make -j$(nproc) toolchain/install
make -j$(nproc) target/linux/compile
make -j$(nproc) package/kernel/mt76/compile
make -j$(nproc) world

Then building gettext-full fails with the errors in my OP. if I add gettext-full explicitly early on, then it succeeds:

make -j$(nproc) toolchain/install
make -j$(nproc) target/linux/compile
make -j$(nproc) package/gettext-full/compile
make -j$(nproc) package/kernel/mt76/compile
make -j$(nproc) world
...fails on gettext-full...

I haven't yet identified the package that kills gettext-full. Something is putting zlib in staging_dir in such a way that when gettext's libxml is configured it sees it and decides to use it. Which causes gettext-full to fail because it isn't linking in zlib.

I suspect the answer will be to see if libxml's build options can be changed to explicitly exclude zlib, or to add zlib as a dependency of libxml AND of gettext-full.