Realtek USB WiFi drivers, what happened in snapshot?

Hi all
I am trying to configure an X86_64 LEDE image in VirtualBox, in order to use it as a router based on a WiFi client WAN, using a spare RTL8188EUS (ID 0bda:8179) USB dongle.
This dongle used to work in LEDE 17.0.x with one kmod-rtl drivers out of the box.
Now I have tried to use 18.01.1 but despite of the presence of the firmware, none of the rtl drivers bind on it.
Also in current snapshot it seems that no rtl kmod drivers are present anymore.
In Ubuntu the dongle works via r8188eu (mac80211 compatible) driver.
In the 4.14.x kernel it is supported in a staging driver:

drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/os_dep/usb_intf.c: {USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDER_ID_REALTEK, 0x8179)}, /* 8188EUS */

Does anyone know how make it to work?
Bye

I assume that it is covered by rtl8xxxu; using a USB wlan card under virtualization is probably not the best idea (802.11 is very timing sensitive) and AP mode is not likely to work at all with Realtek USB wlan cards.

No it is not. It is in rtl8188eu staging driver, I am building a modified mac80211 package to have it built and included.
I will keep you posted.

Bye

No it is not. It is in rtl8188eu staging driver, I am building a modified mac80211 package to have it built and included.
I will keep you posted.

Bye

Driver built, it works, I can bring interface up and scan, but it is a WEXT driver. Wpad seems to come without wext support, so I am wondering if there is any kind of support left for wext in Openwrt

Hm, it should have WEXT support

Cab you try the full wpad?

There is another CONFIG_WEXT variable that override it and it is set to yes based on a combination of targets, packages or if another wext realtek driver in staging is compiled. I have trick it with the latter, then I will test it. But still, it seems that luci support for wext is completely dropped even if it is still supported via libwext :frowning: