RE450: how to get the "LED" button to work as in stock firmware: simply turn OFF all LEDs

Hi,
I have a RE450 as WiFi extender (in NAT mode, all other methods failed to work, but that is not the point) in order to get good WiFi for my lawn mower outside. This works fine, but as the extender is mounted outside (yes well protected against weather), i do not want it to attrack any attention.
So how can I configure the blue LEDs (Power, 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, and the round ring) to stay OFF all the time?
There is a button labeled "LED" which performed this function in stock firmware, but even reading through the forum and the LED guide, i have no clue howto get this simple and usefull function working in OpenWRT.

Any hints or help is appreciated.
thanks,
Raoul

if the button is defined in the dts...

you would need to edit the rc.button scripts to toggle the sysctl &&|| led@uci default state to off... ( and back on if re-pressed )

many(most) device wifi/usb-leds are defined / controlled at a driver/hw level... and not accessable via typical linux/sys hooks...

As the blue LEDs do indicate 2.4 and 5G activity and the power LED is ON, I believe that this is exactly what is NOT covered in the UsersGuide for LED: what IF the configuration is NOT in /etc/config/system.....

So the only solution is Black DUCT tape ??

thanks,
Raoul

by default it probably isn't... try adding it... if you can't then they are (probably unless the driver has alternate sysfs hooks etc.) not exposed as discussed... and yes... duct tape or a thin strip of velcro would be a wise workaround...

Ok, I got the LEDs OFF through LuCI / LED configuration by adding this:

Although not triggered by the LED button on the side of the device, it does what it needs to. Apparently this overrides the default internal configuration for the LEDs.... this is good.....

1 Like

these are initialized by the 'system' service... so you may see some activity early in the boot process... between the initialization of network(wpad~devicedriver/netifd) and system...

1 Like

thanks wilfy23 for your help and "triggering" me to try more. I am fine with some activity during boot.........

1 Like

If you would like a script to handle the LED button, you can do something similar as this solution for the EAP225-Wall

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.