Raspberry Pi Zero W stops after kernel loading

Order of events:

1. Plug in to power. There is an HDMI and an Amazon Basics keyboard plugged in as well.
  2. Screen comes on, boot proceeds.
  3. There are some errors about brcm/brcm4340-sdio.raspberrypi,model-zero-w.txt (Error -2)
  4. After 8.4 seconds, it stops at "kmodloader: done loading kernel modules from /etc/modules.d/*"
  5. A few more messages appear after a few minutes regarding the random service.
  6. Green LED keeps blinking and stops after several seconds.

No keyboard input works.

Have tried:

• Building from source
  • Copying device tree file from Raspberry Pi OS img file
  • Unplugging keyboard
  • Using pre-made build
  • Re-imaging and rebuilding many, many times
  • Adding EXT-4 to kernel modules.
  • Pressing enter
  • Ctrl + Alt + F1

I have done so much Googling and have found no real solution to this problem.

.config file: https://pastebin.com/K42Zwnj5

another keyboard?

I wish I had another keyboard to test out.

Unplug and replug any USB device, there should log a message about USB device detected. If the device is a keyboard or mouse it should also have a message of HID driver attaching to it. You need kmod-usb-hid as well as the rest of the USB stack of course for a keyboard to work. I don't know if the release builds include it.

Serial should also work if you have that hardware.

To my knowledge, all of that is in the build config. Unplugging the keyboard after "boot" yields no output in the console. I do not have serial connection hardware.

Update: I am an idiot and plugged the keyboard into the power connector and the power connector into the peripheral USB.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.