Raspberry Pi 4 released

I mean, since traditionally you'd expect to remove the firewall on the AP you could just plug into the AP's LAN ports with it bridged together to the port connected to the router itself presumably without additional overhead or throughput loss. Not 100% on that myself as I don't use a separate AP solution.

Thanks for the response and info. Appreciate it.

The Pi 4 has onboard ethernet which you should use for LAN side... Plug that into the C7 LAN ports as a switch... voila.

So you only need the USB ethernet for the WAN side.

1 Like

Ok so modem to ethernet port on the Pi & the C7 will act as a switch and AP, needing only 1 USB ethernet adapter?

Modem to USB ethernet on the Pi, and Built In ethernet on the Pi to the C7 switch, then yes.

you don't need extra adapters with vlans, if your modem allows you to. check this for more info/ideas.

Kep

Thanks for the response and links. I'm a total newb. So I my plan was this. Modem > wire > ethernet port on RPi & two USB 3.0 adapters on for a switch another for a AP but if I can make the AP act as a switch to that would be awesome.

You only need one USB adapter, as @dlakelan started above.

You don't need to make the AP act as a switch. You need to either connect the Pi to the switch and the switch to the AP and any other wired devices, or you just get a router that also has APs (most router these days are like that).

Oh I see never thought of doing it like that. Switch between router and AP. Thanks for the response much appreciated.

Edit: what kind of switch would recommend smart or unmanaged?

That depends on the use.

But if I take from your post that you are going to buy, then it can be best to just get a router supported by OpenWrt with builtin AP so you can have some control.

The thing is that your original setup of 4 devices (modem, router, switch and AP) seems a bit overkill for most cases. So unless you have a good reason for it, you can simplify it a bit by having a device that will do both the switch and AP job.

If you explain your needs and current setup, people here can help you to plan before going and buying any devices.

Sorry, I should have explained earlier, that you should start a new topic with suitable title (e.g. RPi 4 + good AP for gaming, or whatever). That will hopefully help people know what the topic is about including those who are able to give you an advice , and also avoid hijaking this original post.

My fault. Forgot this is already a post that I was commenting on.

Please open a separate topic for your issue.

Hi there,

I'm wondering why the Raspberry Pi 4 is still in the snapshot but not in the releases
Is it going to change anytime soon? Using it for more than 6 months, never had any crash or bug for now, what are the condition for having it in Releases ?

I'd imagine it'll get done at the next major release.

2 Likes

can somebody run

openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -elapsed

if openssl isn't installed then, opkg update && opkg install openssl-util and run the command.

Thanks.

You have chosen to measure elapsed time instead of user CPU time.
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 16 size blocks: 2845089 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 64 size blocks: 761759 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 256 size blocks: 195810 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 1024 size blocks: 49270 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 8192 size blocks: 6171 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
Doing aes-128-cbc for 3s on 16384 size blocks: 3088 aes-128-cbc's in 3.00s
OpenSSL 1.1.1d  10 Sep 2019
built on: Mon Mar  2 21:06:02 2020 UTC
options:bn(64,64) rc4(char) des(int) aes(partial) blowfish(ptr) 
compiler: aarch64-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc -fPIC -pthread -Wa,--noexecstack -Wall -O3 -Os -pipe -fno-caller-saves -fno-plt -fhonour-copts -Wno-error=unused-but-set-variable -Wno-error=unused-result -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,relro -fpic -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -znow -zrelro -DOPENSSL_USE_NODELETE -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_CPUID_OBJ -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DKECCAK1600_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM -DPOLY1305_ASM -DNDEBUG -DOPENSSL_SMALL_FOOTPRINT
The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes  16384 bytes
aes-128-cbc      15173.81k    16250.86k    16709.12k    16817.49k    16850.94k    16864.60k

This was from an earlier post, without overclocking.

This is with overclocking to 2.0 GHz on all cores.

And the latest benchmark:

It seems that openssl shows different numbers, the first two outputs where of openssl speed while the last one was openssl speed -evp aes-128-cbc -elapsed.

Whats the difference between the two, and the reason for the vast different of aes-128-cbc benchmark numbers. Any explanation?

explanation to be found within

2 Likes