Raspberry pi 4 question

For those successfully Running on rpi4.

How do I safely resize the snapshot, /root partition?

Is anyone successfully booting off external USB drive?

I use gparted and haven't had any problems, just use the sd card though, haven't tried an external drive.

2 Likes

I tried several times and failed.

Tried resizing before and after initial boot on another system from GUI gparted, both times new image doesn't boot.

Should I try gparted CLI again before first boot?

This is exactly my procedure:

• Flash the new image.
  • Boot gparted live distro.
  • Resize / partition leaving always 4 MiB at the end, if I tried to fill it completely from time to time it does not boot.

And, done!

Update: ext4 image.

1 Like

What kind of image? Squashfs or ext4?

Wulfy23 snapshot, super weird, on github it says ext4, in fstab its specified as f2fs.

Is there a better way to install on rpi4?

Ultimately, would love to do fresh install on external ssd, and be able to set partition size.

I'm expecting 2 new, different ssd to USB adapters tomorrow, don't think the one I currently have can boot in rpi4, so will test new ones tomorrow.

Tried doing that several times, each time, no boot in rpi4.

Well, I lied, used gparted in CLI on my PC.... I'll get gparted live distro tonight

[root@dca632 /www9 46°]# grep f2fs /etc/fstab /etc/config/fstab  | wc -l

user error... restore non community backup?

Sorry, no clue what you mean, also, thank you! For the snapshot, other then this little wrinkle of my own making, you made installation of OpenWrt on RPI a snap!

1 Like

no problem...

fwiw... (as you asked a related question in this thread);

the build supports usb boot (and sysupgrade)...

build-info

I may have disabled it... but if you are willing to test possibly breaking your install you can put;

rootfsexpand

in your /boot/cmdline.txt (it's one single line so it goes at the end ) then reboot

build related stuff aside...

I don't recommend resizing other than via a (personal~ongoing) buildroot/ib (imagebuilder)

much better to fstab mount a separate disk... makes upgrading a 1000 times easier to handle...

I am using ext4 images created by ImageBuilder.

Of course, you are right with not needing to resize. Just realized that.

Finally, booted off the ssd with new USB adapter. Your sys image on first try.

Luci seems more responsive. Reboot after updates, honestly, took less than half the time.

I'm planning on running Syncthing and bitwarden server as well on this rpi4, looking how negligible the CPU and memory usage is while I'm using it, should be a piece of cake.

That's, great, won't need separate RPI for other services.

3 Likes

syncthing is a real mem chewer... 500MB+ but probably within bounds unless you had the 1G RAM model....

Have 8gb version, I'll set it all up and see, I might need a 2nd rpi4 to do Syncthing and such.

Looking at NetData, CPU and memory usage right now is negligible.

I'm getting 20Gbps Nvme adapter with gen4 Nvme to use for the root, once I get all services going, it might get intense, plus, I'm planning on having /home mirrored on this drive and all other devices I'm using, so all devices are backed up on all devices at all times.

If u're using so many stuff and spending on extra hardware, why not just get some AMD64 MiniPC?

Intel NUC is very powerful and Lenovo and Dell have some very small form factors too. A i3 or i5 T or U are very energy efficient.

I built myself a Ryzen 3100 (yeah, no IGP, damn) for my router because I need 1 and in the future 2 NICs with as many ports as possible. But if all I need on a secondary PC is 1 network port, I'd get another NUC easily.

Mine is a i3-8109U with 16GB running Win10. I was gonna drop it after finishing my NAS + Server I built with i5 8400, but NUC is so good I gave up and kept it.

I though on getting a RPI, but it's not that much cheaper and efficient, and different CPU architecture would be a burden. But if I find some LED panel for it to buy, I'll reconsider.

1 Like

You can try to use Image Builder to build your custom image.

1 Like

Wow! I have been trying for ages to USB boot! Unfortunately, my RPI is now the full time router so my wife wouldn't be happy if I took it offline to test the USB boot :joy:

1 Like

I'm using 4800U for my desktop with 64gb ram running Arch.

Decoded to setup three rpi4 instead of one, each will run Alpine Linux off Nvme. But really entirely from memory in the Alpine mode where it only backs up to drive.

Plus managed switch.

So I'll have nas server with Syncthing, router with Bitwarden RS server, web server for my website running Streamlit on nginx, all in containers.

Was thinking to use Nixos for these three servers but I'll give Alpine a shot first.