Raspberry Pi 4 | Possible to overclock with OpenWrt?

I'm not sure when the update that allowed 2.147ghz was made available so you may already have it if you've already installed pi os and updated on it, I had a second sd card so that's what I did though, just installed pi os on the second card, ran all the updates and then switched back to the openwrt card.

You can install luci-app-statistics and collectd-mod-thermal, it gives you a nice graph you can monitor, there lots of other collectd modules you can look into as well.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the stable release.

I'm currently using this version.

OpenWrt 21.02.0-rc2 r16122-c2139eef27 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-21.148.49484-14511e5

I have exported the config, but what do I do about the packages I have installed? Will they be automatically installed due to the configuration file or do I need to install them individually and then import the config file?

The packages will need to be re-installed, snapshots are newer than the stable release so the package versions will have latest updates in snapshots rather than stable in a lot of cases, but snapshots are built daily so packages can only be installed for a day or so before the kernel version changes and cause a mismatch between what you have installed and what's available.

It is not enough to simply install the irq balance package, you must also manually enable it using a text editor and I will show/tell you how. assuming you are using nano....

ssh into the router and enter into the terminal this command: "nano /etc/config/irqbalance"
(if you are using vi then replace the word nano for vi)

after that you should see a screen that looks like this:

config irqbalance 'irqbalance'
        option enabled '0'

# The default value is 10 seconds
        #option interval '10'

# List of IRQ's to ignore
        #list banirq '36'
        #list banirq '69'

So what you want to do is change the option enabled from 0 to 1. Next you will want to save the file by doing CTRL+O. And finally exit nano editor by pressing CTRL+X. Now you should be back at the terminal prompt which will say something similar to "root@OpenWrt-rpi4b:~#". Great. Now type in the word "reboot" and press enter. Youre Pi4B will now restart its self with irqbalancing enabled!
Take note that unless you change that 0 to a 1 irqbalance will not actually do anything, even if you have it set via luci to load at startup, and even if its currently running. It needs that bit flipped from a 0 to a 1.

3 Likes

Thanks. I've made that change.

I've noticed that the reboot command is taking a very long time to execute. Any ideas why that might be?

** Edit **

That reboot command took 12 minutes to execute.

If you're still at 2ghz clock speed try increasing your voltage to 6 (no higher though as above 6 will void your warranty), your pi may need more juice than @MakeWiFiGreatAgain for some reason.

I've returned to stock settings for now, but thanks for the tip.

Is the voltage a maximum limit that can be called upon if needed or a 24/7 increase?

I'm pretty sure it's just called upon when needed, but I might be wrong about that.

So did setting irqbalance properly boost performance?

1 Like

Yes, what's the graph look like with IRQ balance running SQM NOT running and a dslreports speed test running?

It hasn't boosted performance in terms of throughput, but it has spread the load across multiple cores.

CPU running at stock frequency.

SQM set to 930,000 for both up and down.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.