R7800's 5 GHz radio will not come up

After changing the password on my 5 GHz band, then one-by-one on my client devices, my R7800 running 18.06.2 is unable to bring up the 5 GHz radio up even after letting it sit for over 1 hour. On the status page, I simply see: " Wireless is not associated"

The 2.4 GHz radio is working fine.

Try a non-DFS channel, you might be close to a radar installation, which invalidates DFS channels.

Thank you for the reply. I am in the US and am set to channel 36 which I believe is a non-DFS.

Interesting looking device.
You could try connecting via ssh, setting the mac address for just one SSID and see if that helps. Remove the other SSID you created via luci (redline_guest) until you get one of them up.

vi /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option encryption none
        option macaddr '2c:e4:XX:XX:XX:XX' # ADD THIS LINE AND USE YOUR OWN MAC ADDRESS
        option disabled 0

Edit and save the file. Then reload the wifi.

wifi reload

You'll find the MAC address on the sticker on the back of the unit or on the original box.
cat /sys/class/ieee80211/phy0/macaddress
Should expose the MAC address for the wireless adapter but if it shows:
00:00:00:00:00:00
That's obviously not right.

Also check that the correct kmods are installed for the wifi adapter. Maybe the correct firmware isn't installed? I mention that because the device looks quite new on the wiki and the page for it looks to still be under construction.

I believe the cause of this issue is my Apple TV. Simply unplugging it (power cord) caused the 5 GHz radio to start working again and it comes up more or less with no delay. Could it [Apple TV] somehow have been interferring with the 5 GHz radio in the same way that it mimicked a radar pulse?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.