R7800 performance

Router has been stabling running for over 10 days - so that makes me happy :slight_smile:.
Here are the charts for the last week with the 75/10 up threshold/sampling down factor:

So yes, I rarely go up past the 800Mhz - but my WAN is only 30/5 - so there probably isn't a ton of stress on the system anyway :smile: . Since WAN speed is probably a non-issue I'm more happy with stability and WiFi between devices. Again though, I would be happy to test other settings to see how they work - but as of now, its not broke, lol.

Cheers!
Thanks for the feedback!
DeadEnd

update: past 15 days now... so I have a good feeling whatever was causing the restart every 4-6 days is now fixed. Very happy as like many others, Work from Home is the new normal and I needed this to be reliable.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I didn't see your Exit 0. I'm assuming you also have...

echo 2 > /proc/irq/31/smp_affinity
echo 2 > /proc/irq/32/smp_affinity

... in there somewhere for the irq "balancing"?

Yeah, mine is more complex, I do other things in rc.local, I only posted the governor section.

1 Like

can someone pass a good configuration? I do not reach 600mbits in WAN.

You put configurations but none are complete, I need to improve performance, thanks!

Is KONG images recommendable?

echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq; echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq; echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold; echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor; echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

Run that in the terminal to try out a combo of settings similar to Kong (using the ondemand governor). Was able to get me high 700 / low 800 mbps with software offloading enabled in the firewall. Sets your base frequency to 800mhz, ramps up quickly, and lessens the frequency that it checks to change frequency.

This is what my /etc/rc.local files looks like (same settings, feel free to tweak to the settings you are most comfortable with)

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/rc.local
# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

exit 0

1 Like

thank you. Also I have installed IRQ balance and put this configuration that I have seen out there, I do not know if it works.

IRQ balance

echo 2 > /proc/irq/31/smp_affinity
echo 2 > /proc/irq/32/smp_affinity

Even so, with those settings, it did not exceed 400mbits approx. I use SQM fq_codel with configuration to 600000 in both up / down channels.

if I deactivate SQM if I get to about 550mbits, approx. I have activated the download of software in firewall.

How do you see those statistics that the partner shows?

Moving interrupts to different CPUs provides little to no benefit for max throughput with recent builds - the spread of interrupts is reasonably balanced enough recently that it won’t give tremendous gains for most setups (there are always exceptions to this). I’d test your router with and without the settings, you’ll likely see little to no benefit. I use irqbalance too- I like it.

To test max throughput I’d use speedtest.net (not dsl reports). Dslreports speedtest has limited bandwidth from its limited servers.

Wired speedtest.net with a gig connection (try 2-3 different nearby servers) should hit upper 600’s - lower 800 mbps with more aggressive CPU settings, no SQM, and software offloading. Post your results.

results with this in local.rc, firewall software on and sqm disabled

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

# min scaling frequency: set to 800MHz because of L2 cache issues
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_min_freq

sleep 1

# ondemand governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold 
echo 60 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor
echo 1000000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

exit 0

sqm cake

sqm default

with sqm off everything seems to be going much better. I have compilation from January, can a new one improve results?

increase performance with sqm is it possible?

thanks

if u'r seeking for "performance" maybe try "performance" governor.. just my two cents :wink:

echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_min_freq
echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_min_freq

sleep 1

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
1 Like

Agreed, performance governor would give you max performance all the time.

Newer master builds have the Ansuel updates that improve things with the ondemand governor. I’d try the latest master. It won’t improve your SQM speed but it will fix some issues with the ondemand governor that have been fixed since January.

With hynman’s or master - With cake I can get upper 200’s mbps to low 300’s. Fq_codel gets to the mid 400’s. Raw routing performance in the upper 700’s low 800’s.

If you are feeling more adventurous you can try out quarky’s NSS or Ansuel’s NSS build. I’m trying out Ansuel’s latest NSS build and getting full line rate (940 mbps).

1 Like

I also do not want to force the equipment unnecessarily.

and what do you prefer? sqm and less speed or sqm off and maximum speed?

unstable are NSS versions?
NSS versions update by web openwrt?

can you pass me the link to the thread?

it is main router, I need stability. I have updated to kong latest version, I do not know if it will have those improvements of the governor, kong has no changelog.

THANKS!

I don’t game so I’m not chasing after every milisecond - With gig download on WAN I haven’t really needed SQM, on the upload (Asymmetric cable 940/35 link) SQM is beneficial. :sunglasses:. I usually run fq_codel / simplest on only the upload side.

The NSS builds are experimental. If you have basic linux skills, can compile firmware, and know how to rescue your r7800- you can give them a try (If not, I’d stick to a hynman build- see community builds, kong, or your own flavor). They unlock the two NSS 800mhz CPUs for hardware offloading :

If someone wants to try the new build, they should be stable... The worse it can happen is a panic with a very very special packet (we should have fixed this) or some packets doesn't get offloaded.

1 Like

I can recover the router by tftf, and some linux things (I have VPS, raspberry, etc) but I have no practice compiling and those things .... :frowning: there are no images made? that can be loaded by openwrt web?

where are they?

Problem is that as they are custom compiled, you can't install kernel module if needed

This may be a dumb question.... does sqm get bypassed with NSS offloading. In testing (and logically) it seems like it does.

Yes sqm is bypassed... Nss have support for shaper but we still haven't added support for sqm (I'm still busy with summer+ pushing patch upstream)

3 Likes

At the moment, ipq806x routers with the NSS cores activated can already do ingress and egress shaping with no load imposed on the main CPU (i.e. Kraits) cores. It should be able to shape traffic up to line speed (i.e. 1Gbps) without issue.

The only downside is that it has to be done with startup scripts at the moment. We need someone who understand how to change Luci SQM codes to incorporate the changes to make it more user friendly.

The other catch is that the NSS shapers are not really modern. It has fq_codel and htb that could work in tandem to shape and split requests fairly, so it should serve most use cases.

1 Like

Interesting. @moeller0 is frequently on all the SQM threads - don’t know if linking up the NSS cores with SQM in luci is up his alley. :sunglasses:

I’ve enjoyed using ansuel’s master NSS build on my main router. Enjoying getting line rate (940/35). Seeing wifi performance similar to hynman builds so I’ve only kept it to this wired router.

I’m going to test your master build this weekend and see how offloading is working for wifi to see if that is a good setup for my APs.

I have no r7800 at my disposal so I will not be able to test anything at all and hence would typically avoid making changes, but what exactly is missing in the GUI, maybe somebody could explain the details here?