R7500v2 kernel 4.19 test

5+ days up and no obvious errors or issues; however, at least on R7800 user can't boot after building an image based on my k419 git hub branch. I don't know the reason for this boot failure yet but I suspect the thermal sensor patch.

My best guess about why thermal sensors fails on 4.19 but works on 4.14 has to do with how the current thermal sensor driver requests memory. The thermal sensor driver (init_common in drivers/thermal/qcom/tsense_common.c) makes calls to devm_ioremap_resource (in lib/devres.c). Subsequent function calls from the devm_ioremap_resource function check if another driver has requested the memory region which of course the gcc driver has. This might have worked in 4.14 but was likely a bug that has been fixed in 4.19 (I've seen a reference to a similar type of bug).

If all this speculation is relavent, one solution might be keep the 4.14 device tree definition and change the devm_ioremap_resource function to devm_ioremap (also in /lib/devres.c - I'll need to work out how to do the function args for this) ref.

It will be 2-3 weeks before I'll have chance to try this... unless someone else wants to have a go in the interim.

1 Like