R7500v2 (ath10k 9980) netperf observations, firmware/board-2.bin files, and other wifi issues

again just to make sure... hostpad.conf should not be directly changed so you should tweak the shell script that generates that and restart wifi

i can edit the /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf file and

kill -HUP $(pidof hostapd) # reload hostapd config

which i believe picks up the changes

oh ok using that won't regen the config...

wifi down
wifi up does tho

I think you should edit hostapd.sh or mac80211.sh as they are what generates the /var/run/hostapd-phy*.conf.

/lib/netifd/hostapd.sh
/lib/netifd/wireless/mac80211.sh

i just tried adding airtime_mode=0 and restarting hostapd with no change in iw list output.

/lib/netifd/hostapd.sh does not seem to have anything related to airtime fairness commented out (i.e. i think it should work there assuming it's enabled in the firmware).

I'll look at /lib/netifd/wireless/mac80211.sh now...

but it would be really nice if someone could answer my question "does it show up in your iw list output?" and if so "what is in your hostapd-phy0.conf file related to airtime?"

and why you set it to 0 ? it's the default option aka disabled....
try 2 pls

the comments (in hostapd.sh and other places i've looked) are not clear (to me)

from the comments, using 2 or 3 seems to imply manually setting bss weights - perhaps that is done by hostapd.sh or the mac80211.sh scripts

I'll give 2 a shot and see what happens

Yes you should also add airtime_bss_weight=1
but for sure setting the mode to 0 would actually disable it entirely...

1 and 3 require the mac list to be provided with the weight...

Supported extended features:
                * [ VHT_IBSS ]: VHT-IBSS
                * [ RRM ]: RRM
                * [ SET_SCAN_DWELL ]: scan dwell setting
                * [ FILS_STA ]: STA FILS (Fast Initial Link Setup)
                * [ CQM_RSSI_LIST ]: multiple CQM_RSSI_THOLD records
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_OVER_NL80211 ]: control port over nl80211
                * [ TXQS ]: FQ-CoDel-enabled intermediate TXQs
                * [ AIRTIME_FAIRNESS ]: airtime fairness scheduling
                * [ AQL ]: Airtime Queue Limits (AQL)
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_NO_PREAUTH ]: disable pre-auth over nl80211 control port support
                * [ DEL_IBSS_STA ]: deletion of IBSS station support
                * [ SCAN_FREQ_KHZ ]: scan on kHz frequency support
                * [ CONTROL_PORT_OVER_NL80211_TX_STATUS ]: tx status for nl80211 control port support

Is shows up for me but nothing regarding airtime fairness in both hostapd-phy*.conf files.

2 Likes

Since you have nothing in your hostapd-phy0.conf file, i'm pretty sure its not enabled in my firmware. I'll need to ping @greearb and hope he has the time to respond.

In the mean time, I'll try @ansuel suggestions and see if i can't get it to come up.

FWIW i recall reading that it might not be enabled on my 99x0 firmware (i.e. totally not supported for me) but i can not find that post. My wifi certainly performs like it's not enabled and I'd really like to try it.

I'd also like to know if it makes sense to not have AQL enabled if airtime fairness is not supported.

anyway the strange thing is that i have airtime fairness enabled but i don't have the mode set in the conf... why you don't have that mode? O.O

I have in my hostapd.sh set by default

set_default airtime_bss_weight 0
set_default airtime_bss_limit 0
set_default airtime_mode 0
1 Like

(that looks to be wrong if it's actually like that.... as 0 = disabled)

should i post some patch to make that configurable from ubus/uci?

In your hostapd.sh are they set differently?

nope my hostpad config doesn't have airtime mode set....

From my past reading on airtime fairness setting in hostapd, I think that comment is misleading. I think it disables manual setting.

EDIT meaning if airtime fairness is supported in your firmware, hostapd.sh will pick that up and configure it automatically.

mh that would make sense....

so back to the original question why on my r7800 (qca9984 i have that set and you don't have that?)

think we should ask other user with 9980 to check if the option is provided...

Another dev that builds for the r7500v2 is @kong - not sure if he will take the time to respond.

i think there are more "common" user than kong that have a 9980 device ahahahha

1 Like

i tried adding

airtime_mode=2
airtime_bss_weight=1

to /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf followed by
kill -HUP $(pidof hostapd)

with no change to my iw list output.

I'll play around with the hostapd.sh and mac80211.sh scripts and restarting wifi next.

Need to do some home grounds keeping now before the snow comes...

I'll post again here later.

Thank you both for your help.