R6700v2 led question

currently trigger is set to "netdev" reading https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/led_configuration gives some helpful tips, I was curious that in the pr there was mention of this that the leds are controlled by some gpio expander, does this mean the netdev may or may not work for this model?

Currently the unit is working on a 50/5 connection both radios are functioning and sending/receiving full bandwidth and since this is very new I understand that some luci-app will not be included yet, I had one reboot so far but since the unit has been up for 15hrs.

Mac addresses coincide with stock.

I had bought this unit from an ebay seller he added that it had failed to update from Netgear firmware upgrade and was stuck, after troubleshooting and correcting the problem I was able to flash an earlier Netgear build, from their I had compiled the current snapshot openwrt-imagebuilder-ramips-mt7621.Linux-x86_64 and here I am with asking if the netdev will work properly or just stick to the docs and work things out if a dev can give some advice to properly determine the best course of action would be helpful?

best regards
onefreeman

Are the LEDs working for you? I have an R6800 (of which the R6700 v2 is a clone AFAIK) and e.g. I have no wireless LEDs working (both radios active) and the LAN LEDs only work when the device boots up with a device attached to the corresponding port.

I see on other MT7621 devices that the LEDs are working as intended, but the whole GPIO expander thing might mean the R6800 / R6700 v2 / ... line works in a different way. See also:

1 Like

you could try this Wrt54g-tm blinks power LED when wifi is active - #4 by frollic

you can cat the trigger file, to see all available options.

1 Like

When I get home, I'll be able to work on it some more, basically I'm going to to be using the documentation as it has what I'm looking for for now.

So far and as mentioned wireless performance is working fine for my bandwidth rates provided from my provider and the photo is basically how the led's are displaying no blinking activity when all ports are being used wan is connected as well of course, currently the kmod-leds-gpio and kmod-usb-ledtrig was included when compiled and so maybe not sure but adding one of the other kmod-ledtrig could used? I will do some testing this evening,

Best regards
onefreeman

1 Like

Okay none of the documentation suggestions didn't work for me, also using the snapshot builds doesn't allow me to install other kmod ledrig to experiment with, does this mean I can "git pull" add to the config with the kmod ledtrig compile and troubleshoot test?

best regards
onefreeman

The led triggers got stripped a few days ago (I think because they're supposed to work by default on most targets now?):

Yeah, see:

This would explain the errors when opkg install one of those kmod's. Unfortunately I bricked the router going to back to oem.

I read that using nmrpflash could bring it back to oem can someone confirm, am I in the right thread to ask this question?

best regards
onefreeman

Nmrpflash seems the way yes.

nmrpflash for windows 10 or linux which works better?

I can see that openwrt is still there in the serial log, so would continuing going back to stock the route to go or go back to the openwrt and try flashing stock another way using nmrpflash?

regards
onefreeman

I tried the Linux one and both the binary and a self-compiled version didn't work for me. If you don't want nmrpflash I think it's serial + TFTP. The former is definitely easier.

Aren't there some commands to use when flashing, I can tftpboot upload the firmware but I don't know the commands to flash upgrade the stock firmware?

Thanks for any answers that can help me flash back to stock, I know the snapshot hasn't developed all the way yet and would like to continue testing, it just that going back to stock should be documented for now as well.

regards
onefreeman

Was able to restore my R6700v2 using the nmrpflash-0.9.15-win32, followed the instructions provided from the https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/ the download was at https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash/releases thanks for the replies.

best regards
onefreeman

1 Like

Okay since those kmod triggers have been removed, I see that the led gpio are in mt7621_netgear_sercomm_bzv_dtsi for the r6700v2 but the only two led that were semi working were the power(orange) and lan led(white) that was not blinking, nothing helped to change or bring the remaining led online after making changes in uci.

Hopefully the documentation will help me to figure it out.

Where are the current commits for work done on the R6700v2 MT7621 can it be found at git.openwrt.org and do a search?

Best regards
onefreeman

I'm still not able to get the led situation with the kmod-leds-gpio to work this is kinda new to me, has anyone with similar netgear specs to this mt7621 been able to successfully configure their wan, lan, wifi led's?

Best regards,
onefreeman

There's light at the end of the tunnel :wink:

An inquisitive soul found out the following kernel symbol went AWOL in the migration from kernel 4.14 to 5.4:

diff --git a/target/linux/ramips/mt7621/config-5.4 b/target/linux/ramips/mt7621/config-5.4

index fba22a39cf..559abb65f5 100644

--- a/target/linux/ramips/mt7621/config-5.4

+++ b/target/linux/ramips/mt7621/config-5.4

@@ -210,6 +205,7 @@ CONFIG_PHYLINK=y
 CONFIG_PINCTRL=y
 CONFIG_PINCTRL_RT2880=y
 # CONFIG_PINCTRL_SINGLE is not set
+CONFIG_PINCTRL_SX150X=y
 CONFIG_POWER_RESET=y
 CONFIG_POWER_RESET_GPIO=y
 CONFIG_POWER_SUPPLY=y

Props to @svanheule for tracking this down.

If you compile yourself, you can just add this patch, if not, you'll have to be patient. It turns out this driver cannot be compiiled as a module so there's some input from the devs needed on how to proceed, since this would enable it for all MT7621 devices.

1 Like

Thank you Borromini for the information, it's been tricky to get the led's to function properly and as you stated "some input from the devs needed on how to proceed" would be helpful, the R6700v2 currently is running great for my needs but in time full support will be available one day, for now I can wait, have you tried compiling the patch for the other Netgear MT7621 model?

Best regards
onefreeman

A patch is waiting to be merged, the kernel is the same for all MT7621 devices, since the driver can only be compiled in statically. Once it gets merged yours should start working too.

1 Like

I'll apply the patch when I get a chance this evening and thanks for the information as well Borromini.

Best regards
onefreeman

1 Like

Please send in your tested-by (see my reply) to the mailing list if it works for you.

Not sure I understand what your asking?

Best regards
onefreeman