R6250 not reaching 400mbps with openwrt

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (SB6183) on Spectrum with their 400 mbps service. When I plug the laptop directly into the modem, I can achieve over 400mbps no problem. When I plug the same laptop into the R6250 which is plugged into the SB6150, I can achieve a max of about 325mbps. Does anyone else have this problem, and how is it fixed. I don't see many WAN settings - MTU was defaulted at 1500 but I tried 1800 and no change, so I left it at 1500 default. The lucy GUI shows the router as "Netgear R6250 V1 (BCM4708)" and the firmware version is "OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)", which I updated from 18.01.0 yesterday - the update didn't change anything. I am running speedtest.net's test. Any ideas?

openwrt factory settings and dd-wrt factory settings both were slow. Netgear firmware is fast. I got 416mbps. So I know the h/w and wiring are good. But I want to be on openwrt. Please advise.

Did you enable flow offloading?

(Also, a loss of ~50 Mbps/20% thru NAT is not that significant, that's actually good!)

Did you enable flow offloading?

(Also, a loss of ~50 Mbps/20% thru NAT is not that significant, that's actually good!)

Thanks for the reply. But considering the netgear firmware later got 480mbps it's not good and considering it also did NAT, I don't consider that loss due to NAT, unless of course the netgear firmware did the equivalent. I enabled flow offloading, and didn't get any noticeable improvement. I'm still 100mbps away from what the netgear firmware is capable of.

This is telling me that the speed is variable probably based on neighborhood load, you should really run speed test say at 1am or maybe multiple times throughout the day and compare. Single runs are too noisy when neighbors can be doing who knows what.

Also run top -d 1 on the router during the speed test and look for percentage idle.

Are you running SQM on this? You really need an x86 to do SQM over 300Mbps reliably. And given the reduced cost these days of mini PCs it makes sense to switch to x86 even at say 200Mbps

1 Like

I ran speed test many times to get a good sample, and this is 4 am Pacific, not a lot of net traffic yet. Not running SQM either.

What does percent idle show during speed test?

1 Like

According to wikidevi this is a 2 core 800Mhz broadcom device. Broadcom is not well supported due to proprietary drivers etc. Probably it has hardware offload for NAT and soforth. You will always get better speeds from the OEM on this type of hardware.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. This makes sense - openwrt is unable to use proprietary h/w to the fullest. I purchased a linksys wrt3200acm and I now get the expected performance, as high as 477Mbps with speedtest.