R6100 ath79 porting

Here is my observation:

1. My Netgear R6100 was flashed with 19.07 and I wasn't receiving any response to TFTP
  2. So I used following command to place factory image:
sudo nmrpflash -i eno1 -f openwrt-ath79-nand-netgear_r6100-squashfs-factory.img -t 6000

Then since I wasn't getting any Luci interface, I used scp to place openwrt-ath79-nand-netgear_r6100-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin in the router directory temp
then I did sysupgrade openwrt-ath79-nand-netgear_r6100-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

After this was flashed successfully, I was still not getting any Luci interface and so I did:

ssh 192.168.1.1 -l root
opkg update
opkg install luci
opkg install luci-theme-openwrt-2020  (I love this theme slightly more than material but both great)

Rebooted and everything about this router appears to be working flawlessly.  (wireless took a while to stablize after the boot and now its rock solid.

Will post more reaction in a few days.

So far the R6100 has been working superb using the snapshot. It has vlan and samba4 and it has worked flawlessly. I wasn't able to configure vlan to wan (eth1) but it could be more my error and also since its connected to a smart switch where its connected to untagged port, it wasn't critical for me.

I did notice that the luci >> system >> mount points wasn't showing up even after repeated refresh. But after I rebooted the router, it showed and worked flawlessly.

Great work guys.

Anil

Folks and users of Netgear R6100, it has been over two months that my snapshot has been in use and so far I have no complains as it works flawlessly.

I am now flashing my second Netgear R6100 with rev 21 snapshot.

Thanks.

1 Like

ohhh, I have two devices working nice on 19.
Maybe soon do the jump to that version.

Hi all, seems to me that 21.02.2 has not been compiled for R6100 while snapshot is still updated... any idea on this?
Regards

Wait for it. Perhaps it comes with a release.

1 Like

That will be awesome. This is a good device with only one minor kink. The wired ports are 100 base T.

Anil

I just noticed that the R6100 release is still showing Rev 19.
The ath79 snapshot is working fine but for some reason, its stuck there.

Anil

I'm waiting for some packages like "iptmon or wifi schedule" to work without any kind of problem on 21.02 like it does on 19

There is no 21.02 for the R6100. Mauricio, have you tried the master snapshot? If something does not work there, it should be investigated as a bug.

Note that the firewall is now based on nftables not iptables, so interaction with iptables (if that is what iptmon does) is no longer applicable.

I have been using the master snapshot and it works great. Small nuisance is that I have to ssh and the opkg install luci as the sysupgrade firmware does not include luci.

Also I tried the snapshot and found two problems:

1. There is no luci < reguires opkg install luci-theme-openwrt-2020>

2. OpenVPN is not installable. Gives error:

Installing openvpn-openssl (2.5.6-1) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/mips_24kc/packages/openvpn-openssl_2.5.6-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Collected errors:
 * pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency kernel (= 5.10.109-1-9f5c38f9b1b581190e34467afe74c9cc) for kmod-tun
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for openvpn-openssl:
 * 	kernel (= 5.10.109-1-9f5c38f9b1b581190e34467afe74c9cc)
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package openvpn-openssl.

Sorry for coming here, but is your device working well with VLANS?? Can you define VLANS?

I asked you because last time I did try, I couldn't make work due to the old switch and the new DSA were in conflict.

@mk24 I was testing that version at that time and the main problem was the conflict between switch and dsa.

The 22.03.0-rc6 build is not DSA. Configure it with swconfig the same as ar71xx versions. I don't think that snapshot is DSA yet either but did not test it.

The switch is the internal 10/100 switch in the AR9344 SoC. Bear in mind these limitations:

• The hardware VLAN table is only 16 entries. Configurations with a vlan number higher than 15 or 16 will not work. If necessary, VLAN tags higher than 16 can be emitted and received, using separate vlan and vid configuration like most other Atheros internal 10/100 switches.
  • The yellow WAN ("Internet") port is not part of the switch. It is a separate path direct to the CPU (eth0). A software bridge must be used to "switch" packets from one of the other ports to this port.
  • The numbers printed on the case do not match the internal port numbers in the switch.
1 Like

I am using successfully with vlan. VLAN 5 (LAN), VLAN 6 (Guest), VLAN 7 (IOT) and Eth0 & Eth5 and in the br-lan defined which is in the LAN interface. Let me know if I am inadvertently doing something wrong. Thanks.

1 Like

Last time I tried to use VLAN 50, 80, 100 and 200. The thing was that the device had switch and DSA at the same time and if I enabled one of them, so the other one face its effect and this was driving me crazy.

At the end, I just went back to 19, and the device is still pretty solid.
Since that day, this is the uptime.

@mk24 I just stay on 19 since the history above. I own a RT3200 and that is my main router right now.