Quirks/Oddities you will encounter with Asus RT-AX53U

Are you using the official release (22.03.3) OR snapshot release (r21968-acd8e94d20)?

i builded my own firmware for ax54

1 Like

WiFi is never idle, beacons are always transmitted.
Behaviour of the LEDs is pretty normal with the default settings (what I've set in config is used even if you don't set anything, and I've defined them with the defaults).

3 Likes

I did some testing...Yes it does!

The following two tests have...

Software Flow Offloading = ON
Hardware Flow Offloading = ON

OpenWrt 22.03.2 Release
=> Router cannot handle more than 7 simultaneous streams when you use Wifi 2.4GHz band, 5Ghz band, and LAN (cable) all at the same time.

VS

Snapshot Release (r21968-acd8e94d20)
=> Router can now handle...

Wifi 2.4GHz band => 30 streams MAX
Wifi 5Ghz band => 30 streams MAX
LAN (wired) => 30 streams MAX

...all at the same time! No drop out!

"TOP" indicates router's CPU is at 22% idle under this testing scenario.

2 Likes

Oh, OK then.

Looks like the LED issue has largely been solved for this router.

Thanks for the post about this, and for getting this into a great supported device!

I also got this last year in AU ;).

As you noted, the stock UI is incredibly slow, I have no idea what they are doing, I bet it's the HTTPS or something having weird issues.

I tried to flash straight to the snapshot build, but that didn't work for some reason (it just rebooted right back into the stock AsusUI).

Instead, what I ended up doing was using the 22.03.3 build, then performed a sysupgrade to snapshot r22040-eeba2a67ca via luci.

Once the upgrade was complete, it also wiped to factory settings, so I had to install luci via SSH.

Everything seems to work great for my use case, I haven't tested the LED lights/USB (as I have no use for them). Snappy as, happy as always with OpenWRT.

Kia ora joshx1 and stmok,

I'm pretty flipping new to using OpenWRT... very new in fact.

I'm wanting to flash OpenWRT on my new ASUS RT-AX54HP, and am wondering where I can get hold of the snapshot r21968-acd8e94d20 mentioned above -- or maybe the snapshot r22040-eeba2a67ca? More than happy for you to assume I've not looked in the correct place :grimacing:

Many thanks,
Jon

OpenWRT is pretty straight forward now adays, much less confusing than the stock standard mess of a UI Asus has anyway :).

1. Go to https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=asus_rt-ax54 and search for RT-AX54HP , download the second image (Factory)

2. Then you want to follow along with these instructions https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-ax53u

The main difference if you're new to tech/openwrt/linux is that you'll need to use a terminal for this. If you use Windows, you can use Putty, which is a free tool.

DO NOT flash the RT-AX53U firmware to RT-AX54 (and clones)! Your WAN port will not work.
As of 2023.02.13 snapshots are being built for RT-AX54, use those. As mentioned by @joshx1 above.

1 Like

Beautiful -- many thanks.

No probs with using a shell/terminal... I've fiddled with Linux on various boxes at home :+1::+1:

Meh -- sorry, @joshx1... I need to ask you for a couple of pointers :frowning:

I can get a basic OpenWRT installed on my ASUS RT-AX54HP:

PS C:\Users\Jon Pawley> ssh root@192.168.1.1
root@192.168.1.1's password:

BusyBox v1.36.0 (2023-02-12 00:18:39 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22063-f490295bf2
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

Nice!

However, when trying to install LuCi, I get stuck. First of all, when trying to use wget I get an error:

root@OpenWrt:~# cd /tmp
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# wget https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54
Downloading 'https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54'
Failed to send request: Operation not permitted
root@OpenWrt:/tmp#

OK, not such a problem -- I'll cat the file over via SSH.

On my local machine:

root@192.168.1.1's password:
jon@CARBON:~$

And then on the ASUS box:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# ls /tmp/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin -al
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       6441536 Feb 12 00:23 /tmp/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# sysupgrade /tmp/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Sun Feb 12 00:24:26 UTC 2023 upgrade: Saving config files...
Sun Feb 12 00:24:26 UTC 2023 upgrade: Commencing upgrade. Closing all shell sessions.
Command failed: Connection failed
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed.

Once the router reboots, I'm back with OpenWRT, but no LuCi.

If I try using mtd write that also fails:

root@OpenWrt:/# mtd write /tmp/openwrt-ramips-mt7621-asus_rt-ax54-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux && reboot
Could not open mtd device: linux
Can't open device for writing!
root@OpenWrt:/#

Hmm. So, I'm a little stuck. But heck, it's past midnight... and you weren't volunteering to help some newbie out. BUT... if you have any pointers, that would be awesome!

Good night,
Jon

In firmware selector you can customize the packages and request a build with luci included.
You just have to hit customize and append luci to the package list.
Here is a snapshot build from just now, with luci included (factory and sysupgrade).
https://sysupgrade.openwrt.org/store/f46af0df906f109f4a78ad00d839988f/
I don't know how long it is kept there.
Get the sysupgrade image and install it using .. sysupgrade.

1 Like

Since you have OpenWRT, you should just be able to install luci?

To get luci to work, all I did was this:

opkg update
opkg install luci

as per https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials

1 Like

If u need help for using mtd on ax 54 pls check it out.

1 Like

Many thanks, all of you. I downloaded the snapshot build containing the luci package, as suggested by @znevna, and used that to do the sysupgrade. I now have a working OpenWRT router with LuCI!

:boom:

:pray:

Jon

(If I have any more questions -- actually, I'm sure I'll have plenty, over time -- I'll try to ask them in more appropriate fora :wink:)

2 Likes