Questions about upgrading and ssh access to LEDE

I'm considering switching to LEDE and would just like to know two things:

First, when you upgrade LEDE from a previous version to a new version, can you do the upgrade without having to reflash and start over (losing all your settings in the process) or do you have to clear everything and start over from scratch? This would be on an Asus RT-N66U, if that makes any difference.

And second, can you allow ssh connections only from the LAN side, while blocking them on the WAN side, so that no one on the Internet could ssh into your router?

Thanks for any assistance!

Within the same maintenance version (17.01.2 -> 17.01.3), the configuration files have been the same if you perform a system upgrade and preserving configuration files. There will be likely major change in configuration format for major versions upgrade, like 17.01.3 -> 18.0x.

Yes, and that's the default setting. You can even limit to specific "interface" on LAN.

1 Like

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

Part of the reason I was concerned about this is because although some model routers use different files for initial installations and for upgrades, it appears the Asus RT-N66U uses the exact same file (currently lede-17.01.3-brcm47xx-mips74k-asus-rt-n66u-squashfs.trx) for both initial installs and upgrades. Because of that, I wasn't sure if the configuration would be preserved when it is necessary to do an upgrade.

Also, I assume that file contains all the software you need for a basic router for a home network, right? I really don't want to have to try to install additional software beyond the LEDE firmware itself.

Thanks again for the response.

As far as I can tell, LEDE default images will serve basic router and wireless functionality without additional packages.