Question on the likelihood of support

Mikrotik 4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD

This seems to be the newest offering in the Mikrotik product line.
Would seem that most previous models are supported here in Openwrt land.

Is it save to assume that this newest model will also be supported some time in the not too distant future?

Would it be possible to compile openwrt for this newer model?

TIA

Is RouterOS not as user friendly?

Sorry to sidetrack your question but i've also looked at this router.

Actually, Mikrotik is presently not supported on the ath79 target (just the deprecated ar71xx target) and I haven't seen any success in porting it over. It will be interesting to see how the project handles this as ar71xx is slated to be removed from builds.

Knowing that a brand is supported means little for the next model. Even within the same model number, there are changes in chips, or even complete design, that even occasionally aren't represented by any outward marking, like a version number. Not at all safe to make that assumption.

Possible today? If not listed on the supported hardware page, no.

Blockquote
Is RouterOS not as user friendly?

Sorry to sidetrack your question but i've also looked at this router.

Blockquote

Well - - - I'm really gunshy for adding things that leave, for me anyway, perceived security opportunity (politically correct speak) increases. RouterOS is managed from something called WinBox which runs on '(I think you get it - - - - its not Linux!). As M$ products now include a key stroke logger (supposedly possible to shut this off) I am loathe to give an ISP access to my network (which really means my system) - - - yes I'm paranoid but that doesn't mean that they're not out to get me (lots of information out there about how I'm being sold over and over and over again for other's to get fat on my carcass!).
So - - - - maybe RouterOS is OK - - - - I'm not going to use anything that gives preferential access to someone else whom I'm haven't admitted into a circle of high trust (its a very small circle).
(Likely too long a response - - - - - sorry I'm very passionate and try to be VERY careful about my privacy AND my security (the second is why I'm here as well!).)

1 Like

Thank you for your response.
I would hope that this would change but - - - - time will tell.

As I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag with a map a hole a hand and a kick the posterior this might be a very stupid question - - -- is there any way that I might be able to help change that non-supported?

If you can get a boot log (or the output of dmesg or the early portions of the system log) that shows the chips used, that would help determine if it can be easily supported. You can post it here with the preformatted button in the editor, </>

(Yes, there have been severe security problems with the Mikrotik, Windows-based management and other aspects of RouterOS. https://www.google.com/search?q=mikrotik+security+vulnerabilities)

From https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

Specifications

Details
Product code RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN
Architecture ARM 32bit
CPU AL21400

Unlikely to be supported any time soon as Annapurna Labs' public Linux support is, as I understand it, very poor.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.