Question: gateway setting(s)?

As I wrote, I have no real 'problem'. Just give me a hand, and instead of discussing items, please, can someone just pin down a line or two what I'd have to enter into that file? I'm not used to the syntax, yet.
And then, how to restart? As mentioned above, it didn't want to after my initial trial.

Or point out, why my initial trial, based on the documentation, didn't work out?

start here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/dhcp/dhcp_configuration

Add list dhcp_option '6,x.x.x.x and list dhcp_option '3,x.x.x.x (adding the correct IPs you want to use) to the config dhcp 'lan' stanza. Then restart the network (/etc/init.d/network reload)

And (as @mk24 has said) change option start '192.168.3.101' to option start '101'

or just restart dnsmasq: /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

1 Like

Okay, done. Now it looks like:

config dhcp 'lan'
        option interface 'lan'
        option start '101'
        option limit '99'
        option leasetime '12h'
        option dhcpv4 'server'
        list dhcp_option '3,192.168.3.1'

config dhcp 'wan'

Then I did /etc/init.d/network reload (no error message), disconnected a downstream wireless client (*buntu), reconnected, and still

$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.3.201 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 wlp6s0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 wlp6s0
192.168.3.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 wlp6s0

Does it take this from some cache? Propagation time shouldn't be the issue, since it is the identical machine.

At this point I'd probably restart the AP to clear out any DHCP lease cache and then force the *buntu device to release the dhcp lease before obtaining another one (how you do this will depend on the distro and dhcp client being used).

Install tcpdump on the AP then monitor DHCP packets with tcpdump -i br-lan -vv port 67 or port 68

I thought that setting option 3 overrides the default to send own IP address as option 3.

1 Like

Right. After a restart of everything, all caches were empty, and the new gateway instated.
And under Interface->lan->DHCP->Advanced Settings->DHCP Options this line actually shows up.
So there would have been no need to ssh into the box and vi the respective file. Never mind.

Slowly I am learning ... .

Thanks a bunch. Next I'll change the DNS to the same box, through luci.

1 Like

I did point out that was an option several days ago...

Yes, I said, I'm slowly learning. I wasn't clear about the options, primarily the gateway.
And that link from the documentation to the site (http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/bootp/options.htm) explaining all the options was down some days ago, and still was inaccessible today. That's why I asked about the line to be entered into the options file.
In any case, learned something; and even had success! - Thanks again!

P.S.: Yes, I HAD seen that in your post, "other things, let you set the gateway, DNS, range", but I didn't know WHAT to enter, since there was no field for e.g. the gateway.