Question about Raspberry Pi 4 images/installation

Hello,

I'm about to (try to) install openwrt on a raspberry pi 4 (4gb), just wondering which image should I use and if the reported issues with the squashfs are already solved?

And just to confirm, it should be this one: https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2711/ right?

Do you think it's worth the effort to build a local environment to use the image builder? since support for the pi 4 is still on the snapshot only, how often do you upgrade? I really don't mind the extra work/time if in the long way it's going to be usefull. About packages, I'd probably use only things available on the repositories, nothing fancy...

LuCI, is it possible to do everything from an ssh connection? if I go with the image builder could I place the LuCI in it? basically I believe the image builder will represent a fresh install every time, with my configuration and packages already there, is this right?

Thanks!

Yes. (Not sure if you miss order your question. Luci can do all the basic stuff as well as quite but of intermediate and expert settings too. But from ssh connection you can configure everything in openwrt)

Yes absolutely, you can include luci during image builder

Yes to 99% of that. However anything you configure after you have flashed it (ip address, some extra routes, logging settings perhaps) will be lost when you reflash it later - unless you bake those changes into your image when you make it. (That will probably be fine, but you might get weird behavior in the future if the format/structure of some files changes. YMMV)

1 Like

You can check out my primitive build script for some ideas:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

But why the target is bcm27xx/bcm2711? I thought it was supposed to be brcm2708/bcm2711? What’s the difference?

There is no difference.

1 Like

See https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=7d7aa2fd924c27829ec25f825481554dd81bce97

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.